1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peavey Fury USA Bass - opinions needed, prices?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MakoMan, Jun 27, 2012.

1. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    Ottawa, Canada
    Been really gassing for a Precision Bass with a thinner Jazz style neck and the US made version of the Peavey Fury looks to fit the bill. Seem to be highly thought of, well made and inexpensive for what you get.
    A couple of things I am curious about:

- How does the Fury compare to a Fender Precision in tone?
    - Weight?
    - Is it truly a Jazz neck?
    - What is a fair price for one? I've seen them on Ebay as low as $100 plus shipping and as high as $400.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. mark beem

mark beem Wait, how does this song start again?? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    I've said it before.. I'll put my $169 Fury against any MIA Fender out there.

DSCN0481.

DSCN0482.

Great P Bass tone! I'd guess mine weighs around 8 pounds if that much. It's very light. Super thin neck.

3. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    Ottawa, Canada
    Beautiful bass! OK, now I am really gassing for one LOL!

4. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    You can find these all day for under $200.

5. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Best P bass I have ever owned bar none. MIA Peaveys are a steal. Furies have nice thin necks and the pups have a good tone and output. Build quality is excellent. Go for it

6. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    I'd love to get a second one in white, maple board that I could put a red tort p.g. on.

7. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    The tone of a Fury is equal to, and some claim better than, a Precision. The weight varys. I'd say average between 9-10lbs. Certainly lighter than Fenders of the same vintage. Prices on these in very nice condition run between $150-$200. I wouldn't pay more then $80 for a beat up example.

8. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    Ottawa, Canada
    Thanks everyone. I am looking for a beat up example or even a mint one. Bit trickier to find in Canada, but I will track one down eventually or have one shipped to a friend in the US to bring up to me.

9. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    actually used a patriot at an old practice space, really nice, would like to check out a maple neck fury though

10. The first generation Forums are a Fury with a bridge pickup added. They typically have rosewood boards, but have the feel of a 70's A-neck Precision. I picked one up for under $100 on ebay.

11. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Now that you mention it, the B-Ninety

[​IMG]

And the Dyna-Unity

[​IMG]

And the Foundation "S"

280173006474-4.

also have Precision style pickups.

12. I just found a 90s Fury in the back of a closet at my step moms house. I have basically adopted it as my own. It is black with a maple neck and everything seems structurally sound. The problems are that the finish is beat up pretty bad, the PG is broken, and the Pups and electronics are gone.

I'd really like to restore her to former glory. I'm thinking strip her and go natural (counting on how the wood looks, i'm not expecting that great) or do a black repaint. Anyone seen a fury without the finish?

13. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    The wood grain underneath the paint will almost certainly mismatched, and it's likely that the tint of the wood itself will be noticeably off. Putting that kind of work into a $100 bass is folly, unless you feel compelled to do it.

14. I wasn't gonna do a fancy refin. I just wanted to take off the crap paint and either leave it natrual or get some spray paint and go from there. Nothin expensive gonna be done here. Thanks for the heads up about the wood though.

15. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

My gear list has a fifties pbass. My soundclips are a fury

waynobass and nuhckes8 like this.
  16. oldrookie

oldrookie

May 15, 2007
    Avon, IN
    Refinish, you say? It can work out fairly nice. This one was just plain-jane black.

DSCF9864.

I have another stripped and ready to spray if I can get the time. Just got a new Fuji Mini Mite 3 spray system so I can get back to refinishing on a regular basis.

rasmith3530 and JCooper like this.
  17. That is super sharp.. I wonder what one would look like done in a Cherry burst.. Nice axe..

18. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

I had a Peavey Fury USA years ago. All I can remember about it is that it's the heaviest bass I ever owned. Must have been close to 11 pounds (at least it felt like it anyway).

19. Airskank

Airskank

Jun 17, 2011
    I have a Fury pup in my Squier Jag. I can't recommend this pickup enough. As far as I know, the nut width isn't as thin as a J but the radius is. They're great basses if you get one that's not too abused.

20. Chuck King

Chuck King Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2006
    Chicago
    I got one recently for $130, dropped a Quarter Pounder in it, and it is every bit as good as other basses I have that would cost ten times as much, including a couple vintage Fenders.