Peavey Fury V or MTD Kingston?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Beefbass, Sep 24, 2002.

1. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Hey guys, I'm thinking of picking up a five string bass again, as I may be ready to move on from the oldies gig (keeping my Fenders though.)
    Having had some Fender, a Cort, and a Yamaha 5 string, I tried a Peavey Fury V. Liked it a lot. Played well, and sounded great. Also, the string spacing is not to wide-liked that a lot.
    I've heard a lot here about the MTD KIngstons, but have never had the opportunity to try one, as no one here carries them-guess I'd have to go BassNW, or Bass Central.
    Anyway, has anybody here tried both of these basses, and if so, what do you think?
    BTW, while my Fenders have TI Jazz flats, I would string the 5 with roundwounds.
    Appreciate your opinions, thanks! :)
  2. How do you like thin necks? They don't come much thinner than the Kingston 5, and yet it's got one of the best sub-$1000 low Bs I've ever heard. Beats the hell out of me.
  3. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Thanks for that. I like a thinner neck on a five-IMO, the Fender 5's I've played had necks that were a bit too chunky for me.
    The Kingston is passive, right? Just curious, how does it sound?
  4. I used to have a fretless version that sounded massive--and the fretted version I played, with a maple fingerboard, blew my mind. It restores one's faith in passive electronics. Aggressive and midrangy are the keys here.
  5. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I prefer passive electronics myself, so it looks like it just may be the Kingston. Thanks :)
  6. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    The Kingston has 3/4" string spacing at the bridge (which I like). The Peavey has much tighter string spacing.
    The Kingston has 24 frets, and the Fury has 20 (not 21, as Peavey states), if that matters.

I, personally, have never found a Fury 5 or 6 string with a decent B-string.

I like the Fury, but IMO, the Kingston kicks the Fury's butt!

(FWIW, I plan on buying a fretless Kingston soon, so I'll be putting my money where my mouth is ;) ).
  7. TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    If you like the Fender sound, you will miss that warmth and punch with a Kingston.
  8. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Wow, tough descision. I'm a passive man myself, and have had some very good luck with the products coming out of Korea lateley, so I think I'd gravitate towards the Kingston personally. However, I am a huge Peavey bass fan, have owned two, still own one which I love to death. :)