1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Peavey Fury Vs. Squier VM P Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Scott Sauna, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Scott Sauna

Scott Sauna

Oct 12, 2012
    Oregon
    I have not played either bass and I am wondering how the talkbass community feels about one bass over the other. How is the neck on the peavey compared to the squier? How are the pickups different? That sort of thing! Thanks!

2. mark beem

mark beem I'm alive and well. Where am I? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    The neck on the Furys are thinner, more jazz-like. I'm assuming the Squier is going to be more like a tradition P-bass (I've no hands-on experience with that specific model).

3. Waldo19

Waldo19

Jul 9, 2011
    Well, it depends on which Fury. The early USA ones had a "super ferrite" pickup while the later ones had a more classic split-coil P-bass pickup.

Bang for your buck a USA peavey fury is hard to beat IMHO if you're looking for a pbass with a thinner neck.

Gigged with mine last night :)

4. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA

Don't forget the more recent Fury IV, which has 2 soapbar pickups, is Asian made, and is similar to a Millennium.

+1 on a US Fury being hard to beat.

5. BrianToska

BrianToska

Jan 14, 2013
    Houston, TX
    I have a USA Peavey Fury with the split pickup. It has a thinner neck very similar to a jazz neck. It sounds just as good as a squier VM P-bass in my opinion.

6. Grebnaws

Grebnaws

Aug 25, 2010
    Champaign IL
    My early slant pickup Fury is 1.75" wide at the nut. It is identical in shape to the T-20 neck that I have mounted on a later P-bass style Fury body with a split coil pickup. It was a rescue bass made from the remains of 3 others. They are wide and fairly shallow, like a flatter "D" shape. They aren't narrow across the nut like a jazz style neck but they are thinner front to back than the few Fender and Squier jazz basses I've handled. I don't know which Fury you're looking at but the stock pickups in my mid 90's Fury body are very good. They have strong output and sound slightly harsh to my ears even with old strings. I also like the slant style super ferrite in my early Fury, it sounds great with D'addario Chrome flatwounds. I can't compare the sound critically but there is definitely no room in my house for another P-style or P-sounding bass. The early Fury already had it covered but the parts bass was too cheap to pass up.

7. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas Commercial User

Aug 16, 2005
    Dallas, north Texas
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
    The Fury's the better bass all day long, and is probably going to be less money. If the shape and the name on the headstock are important, which is okay, then the VMs are really nice.

8. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas Commercial User

Aug 16, 2005
    Dallas, north Texas
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
    I just pulled my Fury out and measured the nut, and was about to post that exact info. It looked wider than my Foundation, but they're the same. As for the sound of the Super Ferrite, the best way, in my estimation, to characterize it is that it's a really versatile single-coil sound.

9. tabdog

tabdog

Feb 9, 2011
    Fury.

I put a Fender Original 62 P bass pup in mine.

Tabdog

10. Fury

To be fair I've not played the VM.

I have a split pup fury from 91, and its a wonderful bass. The neck is similar to my mim jazz but just a little thicker. Overall a great bass and USA made. Also you can usually find then cheap, I only paid $80 for mine!

11. Sparky6string

Sparky6string

Jun 19, 2012
    From the experience I have had the Fury was the better bass. They are so hard to pass up every time I mess up and play one.

12. timber22

timber22 Supporting Member

I have a 1995 Fury (split coil) and really like it. I put DiMarzio Will Power pickups in it because I had some laying around and they are great IMO, but really didn't need to. The stock pickups are very good. I've played a VM P in a store and it was a nice bass, but I prefer the Fury, especially if you like a thin narrow neck. I'm using my Fury for a gig tonight.

13. TwoRivers

TwoRivers

Aug 26, 2012
    Las Cruces, NM
    I'll echo what others have said here. I became the proud owner of a mid 90's American made fury not too long ago and haven't played out with anything else since. I paid $200 for it, cleaned it up, did some minor fret work, replaced the strings, and haven't been able to put it down since. My Fender Jazz has been seriously neglected!

14. I have one, and you are correct, sir. It is indeed very traditional P-bass, in both sound and feel. It compares very well with the '78 P-bass, I once had, which was an excellent instrument.
    My Squier VM P is a great little bass, and I would recommend it, but I can't tell you how it compares to the Fury, as I've never played one.

15. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    I have also recently acquired a VM Squier and am very impressed...for the $100 of gear it cost me - it slays

I quite like the Fury as well - but most models I have played had a skinnier nut width than I like - that being said, they can be found super cheap and are a killer value ( like a lot of older USA Peaveys)

if it was between an off-shore Fury and a VM - I would vote VM...stupid value and really a totally (imho) playable, gig-able, record-able P bass for very little scratch. I quite like the Duncan Designed pickup

If its between a US Fury and the VM - would completely rest on what neck style you prefer (and which style Fury it is) imho you couldn't go wrong with either :bassist:

16. toolewab

toolewab

Apr 24, 2013
    It has a thinner neck very similar to a jazz neck.[​IMG]

17. Fender2015

Fender2015 Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2013
    Which Fury? What do you think of Fury IV?