1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peavey Fury...?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by raul, Dec 17, 2011.

1. raul

raul

Aug 30, 2006
    Planet Earth
    tell me about this bass. i think i read somewhere it has a fast neck, kinda like the Fender Geddy Lee neck...similar as in fast action. maybe not identical, of course but still great.

it's like a P Bass but with a fast Jazz like neck? does it need upgrades? how is the tone of this bass?

i've got a Squier CV 60's P Bass and love it, with TI flats...also have a Peavey Foundation...it's pretty cool...

maybe a Fury with rounds would be cool?

2. If you search you'll find tons of posts talking about how great they are.

Mine did not need any upgrades. YMMV.

A Fury with rounds is very cool. If you like how your Foundation plays, you'll like how the Fury plays. Pretty much the same neck.

3. tabdog

tabdog

Feb 9, 2011
    I bought a black Fury for $60 at a pawn shop,

3-14-3.

I put some black hardware on it.

I finally put an Original Fender 62 pickup in it.
    That made all the difference in sound. I also
    got new pots and used shielded wiring.

It is absolutely quiet now and sounds better
    than any Fender P bass I have played.

That includes these and many more,

10-25-5.

The neck is a little thinner and narrower
    than a Jazz bass neck.

The neck is fabulous.

I like rounds on mine. If I use flats, I use
    the ones that are too high tension for this
    neck.

The neck is darn near perfect. It is several
    years old and has been abused, but it is still
    as sweet as it can be,

10-25-5b.

Tabdog

4. I play a Fury with rounds. I tried flats for a while because I had been reading a bunch of people saying "P WITH FLATS!!"

The neck IMO is awesome, it's what attracted me to the Fury. I was looking for a maple board with a narrow nut width. 1.625" is a bit too wide for me.
    It's fast, but I think it's a little thicker (deeper?) than the Geddy. I've never handled them side by side though.

I wasn't really happy with the pups right out of the box, they're sort of weak, though they have a decent "rock" tone to them when you really dig in.
    I couldn't decide on what sound I wanted and after getting a Trace Elliot head I'm happy with my tone again.

I still kind of want to replace the pups, I just can't decide what to replace them with, I keep going back and forth between what kind of sound I want.

5. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio
    I love the necks on all those 80's Peaveys...T-40, T-45, T-20, and even the Fury, and...shoot, can't remember the other one. Best value out there, IMO. If you find a Fury in good shape, it's so worth swapping out the pickup if it doesn't work for you...you'll get a great bass for very little money.

6. Most of the late eighties, early nineties Peaveys have a jazz-like neck. Second and third generation Fury's have p-pickups(1st had a slanted superferrite). The pickups are alnico V, so they are very similar sounding to stock Fender American Precisions. Since these basses haven't been built since the late nineties there are bound to be a few whose pickups have gone bad, but my experience is they they are some of the best sounding p pickups I have ever heard. If you like p-j basses, the pre 94 Peavey Forum has the same body and neck shape as the Fury and can be found equally cheap.

7. LowEZ

LowEZ Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2011
    Central NJ
    And the totally forgotten "best" Fury's imho, the "S" and "Active" from 1986. Both shared a body which had no pickguard and a P/J pickup configuration. The Fury S had Schaller PBX/JBX passive pickups and the Fury Active had some very EMG'ish active pickups. They both sounded fantastic. I sold my Fury S in the late 1980's and haven't seen an S or Active since. If you ever see one, nab it!

8. The pj sounds more like a Foundation S. The active sounds like a Dyna-Bass. I don't remember a Fury S.

Night Rider likes this.
  9. LowEZ

LowEZ Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2011
    Central NJ
    bassmanrocke I can kiss you! Okay not really. For 25 years I somehow remembered it as a Fury S. No wonder I could never find any data regarding it on the 'net.

It was indeed a Foundation S. And there was a Foundation S Active according to the Peavey site.

My bad. I will now bow out of this tread as gracefully as I possibly can. Thanks and sorry to the OP.

Night Rider likes this.
  10. JonahTheAmazing

JonahTheAmazing

Dec 19, 2010
    I've played a fury, and it is nice. The neck is pretty good, but the one I played had A string buzz. To be honest, with a Squier 60's P, I don't really know what you would be getting out of owning the Peavey. It's a good bass, but I don't know enough about the electronics difference or sameness to warrant a reccomendation.

11. tabdog

tabdog

Feb 9, 2011
    The stock CV 60 may have a better sound, but the
    materials and workmanship are better on a US Peavey
    Fury.

The sound can be taken care of with a change of
    pickups.

In my opinion the US Peavey is the winner,

Tabdog