Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey G-bass 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CrawlingEye, Jun 11, 2001.

1. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Any comments on this bass? Thanks.

2. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    It's a nice bass for the money. With the fiver you get the dual pups, which is a plus. I think that the Millenium basses have a lot wider range of tones, and better tone in general, but that's my opinion. But, with the G bass you get a graphite neck, if that is what you are after. I was personally more comfortable with the wood necks on the Millenium and Cirrus.
    All in all, it seems to me to be one heck of deal on a graphite necked bass. If I were you, though, I would try one out along with a Millenium or Millenium Plus, and see what you think. A Millenium can be had for about the same price. Just a thought.

Ryan

3. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Thanks... How much do they run?

I'm after something with a graphite neck, and something I can put a high c on.

It won't be my main bass.

I'll definatly check the others out. I played a 6 string fury before... It was nice, except the low b and low e were really loose.

4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I can't remember for sure what my dealer quoted me on the G 5 or the plain Millenium 5. I paid $1119 for my Millenium Plus 4 stringer. If you go to www.peavey.com, you can request the retail prices on the models you are interested in and usually the next day they will reply with the prices. Sorry I am not too much help here.

Both the G bass and the Milleniums have nice tight b and e strings, they are both 35" scale basses, so you shouldn't have the problem with them that you found with the Fury.

RYan

5. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I'm a Peavey nerd, I know that it's a 35"... and so fourth. I'm gonna use a high c, not a low b.

I was just curious as to how they sound?
    Feel? just the non-stastical things.

6. I got a quote of $1150 on the G-V a year or so back. I suspect that the prices may have gone down, since the G-series are very slow sellers.

7. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Not too bad... I think the bass seems like a pretty good specimen. I'm looking into getting something with a high c to fool around with (meaning probably sit here for a while and get played every now and then, hah)

I'd probably change the pups and all... Any comments on the sound? Bright? Fat? Thin? Warm?

8. Yeah, the tone is incredibly warm--none of that "graphite coldness." Evidently, Peavey uses a fairly soft graphite/epoxy blend compared to Steinberger or Modulus, so the frequency emphasis seems to be on midrange rather than the standard icepick treble sound.

I played one through an Eden CXC-410C3 and was very pleased. I would have bought the damn thing if it hadn't been in multicolored sparkle on black. I'm not paying $1200 for an instrument that lame.

9. I'll second the lameness of the "Bass Boat Flake". They have a G and G-V at our local peavey dealer. Loved the basses, hated the finish.

Check out the millenium basses! I was incredibly impressed! I went in to check out Cirruses, and the guy helpin me out brought over a millenium when I commented on the cirrus price. Not that much cheaper, but good solid instrument in it's own right. Liked the neck better.

10. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I'll definatly check both out. I'm just incredibly interested in the G-bass right now. It's not going to be my primary bass. Although, I'm definatly gonna want to get the most bang for my buck.

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Not a big fan of the GV with a low B string.

A 35" scale bass with a composite neck should have a tight B string, and they are not that tight.

It would probably be great tuned EADGC like you are wanting to, C-Eye.

Good luck on finding one in a decnt color.

A year or so ago I used to see them in nice colors, but for the past few months I have only seen the black sparkle finish. Yuck!

BTW - I've seen them here in Dallas for around $1000.

12. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Actually, color isn't my concern.
    This is their color listing from their site:
    Holoflake Black, Holoflake Red, Charcoal Gray, Metallic Dark Blue, and Vintage Sunburst

I think I'll just have one ordered after checking one out somewhere.
    Just make sure it's what I want.

I think I'd get it in the Holoflake Red or the Vintage Sunburst. The holoflake red could either look extremely good, or cheap and fake looking.

I'd probably go with the Vintage Sunburst just to be safe.

And yeah... It'd definatly be strung EADGC, not BEADG.

13. Embellisher's right--the B string isn't all that great. The warmer tone, from the more flexible neck, comes at the cost of less focus on the B.

14. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Then it should work well!

The only thing I'm curious about is... How does the High C cut? Is it high enough that it starts to go into guitar frequencies? Or is it fine?