Peavey G-Bass vs Cirrus Bolt on

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by waytoodeep03, Apr 2, 2005.

1. What is the difference in these basses. By the looks they look alot alike and the features 18v, VFL pickups etc are the same on both basses.

Why does peavey make so many basses that look alike?
  2. KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    The "G" bass has a Modulus designed graphite neck and one VFL pickup along with the Peavey three band preamp. It also only comes in light sparkle colors. These are no longer made but can be found on ebay for between $300.00 and $400.00. The new bolt on Cirrus has a similar preamp and the body contours look alike but the differences probably end there.
  3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The 4 string G Bass has one VFL pickup, but the G-V has 2 VFLs.

Very good basses, but not in the same league as a Cirrus, IMHO. The ones that I have played don't sound quite as alive as a Cirrus. Maybe the recipe of the Modulus neck has something to do with that.

At the current used price, they are a real bargain.
  4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Whoa -- sounds like a great bass. I'm kind of disappointed in myself that I've never even heard of it before, since I consider myself somewhat of a gearhead. Jeez.
  5. KeithPas

May 16, 2000

I have played both the G4 and the G5 (in the store) and I had the same impression as you about the G5. The tone of the G5 did'nt really do anything for me, I did not hear any of the clarity or attack usually associated with grapfite necks. OTOH I was very impressed with the G4, it had a different sound altogether, very aggressive. Neither are in the same league as the original Cirrus line. I don't know about the bolt on Cirrus line because I have not heard them yet.