Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey G Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Archon113, Apr 30, 2005.

1. Archon113

Archon113

Oct 21, 2004
    I'm trying to find out some info about this bass and there's nothing on the Peavey website. Does anyone know where I can find out about it? Also, if anyone has one, some pics/clips would be great.

2. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    What do you need to know? I've got a GV5 and I like it a lot. Graphite neck licensed from Modulus, active, sparkly, what more could I ask for?! Sorry I have no clips.

3. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    The G bass was made from about 1998 to 2000 I think. There are 4 string (one pickup) and 5 string (two pickup) versions. They have carbon fiber (composite) necks which people used to call graphite- hence the name G bass. They are USA made and have 35" scale. Somewhat gaudy holographic finishes in red, black, or green are common, but they are also seen in a sparkly black and a pearly white. There may have been a sunburst for the fiver, but I'm not positive about that. They are very nice players capable of very low action. Fretwork and finish are extremely good for modest priced instruments. The four has an agressive bark but will produce a fine dub tone if the mids and treble are rolled off. The 18 volt preamp is very quiet. Despite some comments stating it, the four does not sound like a P bass. The sound is more "modern". A view of the ebay bass listings on any given day will likely turn up one for sale and thus some pics. Like many Peaveys the resale value is not the greatest and the going rate for a used one (4 string) is about $300, sometimes less. They are well worth that price. :)

4. Archon113

Archon113

Oct 21, 2004
    Does the bass come in a plain black finish or only the hideous sparkly one? Also, does an 18 volt preamp mean it needs 2 9 volt batteries?

5. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Yum, G-basses... I've always liked them as they were getting good reviews all over the place and I liked their looks, I would've seriously considered getting one back then if Peavey had made lefty versions. :spit:

I saw a bunch of G-basses at the Peavey booth at Frankfurt Musikmesse 1999 but couldn't try them as you couldn't take them out of their guitar stands. :rolleyes:

6. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    My local shop has had a new one hanging on the wall for six years. Every time I go in there I check to see if it's still there. I've almost bought it twice at a great price, but I just don't need it. BTW, you're right, it sounds nothing like a P bass.

7. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Not sure. Yes.

8. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Mine is a black color with a bit of metallic to it; it is NOT the holographic (big chunky sparkle) one. So the answer is basically yes, it does come in a "plain" black. :)

9. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I just found a 4 string G Bass at a pawn shop on Friday. They originally had it marked at $349.99, but it now had a 1/2 price sticker on it. If it is still there in a week or two, I think I am going to go pick it up. Heck, $175 for it, I can't go wrong. And the thing is in mint condition and comes with the hard case. Could make a cool bass for a project of some sort, like being the recipient of a Hipshot Bass trem or something.

I always thought they were pretty cool basses, anyway.

10. ironfist

ironfist

Feb 5, 2000
    I've got a white G-bass. It's an awesome instrument and definitely underrated. Yes, the 18-volt preamp does require two batteries to operate. The bridge is a dead-ringer for the Gotoh 201 Fender replacement, but there's not Gotoh logo on it. I'm actually considering selling mine as I don't play four stringers at all. Part of me still wants to keep it though.

11. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    The bridge on mine does say Gotoh on it.

12. i have the original prototype at home. it's bass-boat red. i like it well enough, but it doesn't see the use that my cirrus BXP. of course, i own the BXP, but the G-bass is on "perma-loan". ;)

i think it has a very aggressive sound, and since my rig is very mid-heavy, it benefits greatly from mid-scoop. it records well and sounds very distinct in the mix. for $300 or less, if you're into the obviously "composite neck" sound (which i am), it's well worth the money.

robb.

13. Archon113

Archon113

Oct 21, 2004
    Can someone post a picture of their G bass? I haven't been able to find any decent ones on the internet. Also, how does the battery life compare with a standard 9 volt preamp?

14. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    THe G-V (the five-string model) came in sunburst,which is the only way I've seen it.

15. BassikLee

BassikLee Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    There was one on ebay about six months to a year ago, that a fellow TBer beat me out of. Sort of a pearl black, same color as my US Millenium 5

16. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I think that was me. :) It's a sparkly black that a more recent ebay auction called "Stars in the night sky." It is not hideous, I quite like it!

17. Archon113

Archon113

Oct 21, 2004
    Thanks for all the replies guys, but does no one have any pics?

Also, does the bass have active pickups as well as an active preamp?

18. BassikLee

BassikLee Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    Yeah, prolly was you, you bast..... Oh, I am not bitter. I was just trying to clarify that A) the 5s were in colors other than 'burst, and B) the black was not that awful (IMHO) sparkle rainbow thing, uber flash and all that. My mellinium 5 is the same black as the G-V that I lost to you on the 'bay.

Lee

19. Archon113

Archon113

Oct 21, 2004
    Thanks for the link - it's got some useful info and pics in it. Now, if only someone could post some clips.......... :)