Peavey G bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Figjam, Dec 29, 2005.

1. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Does anyone know if this pickup is the size of a musicman style humbucker? I read somewhere that a guy put a MM style pup in but im not sure if he had to route or not.

Heres links to pics of some G basses

I think im gonna pick up one like the bottom link because of the graphite neck and 18v 3 band EQ. I hear the stock electronics are pretty good, really quiet for studio recording, but incase i dont dig the tone (im a musicman guy) id be curious if i could swap out the pickup with a MM style. Also, does anyone know of a preamp that would be a good swap for a 18v 3 band?
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Mike Money owns one and says he doesnt think the MM would be a direct fit

anyone have any idea what WOULD be a direct fit?
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Hm okay even though im talking to myself here (hehe) I emailed peavey and they said they dont know of any replacement pickups.

What abut replacing the preamp? It is a 3 band 18v.
  4. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Sounds like an OBP-3 would fit the bill (even though it's 9V) and I'm sure Bartolini has something comparable too.
  5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    measure the dimensions of the existing pickups and I can tell you
  6. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I dont actualy own the bass, just considering one.

I might be ordering a musicman HH sr5, so in that case, no G bass, heh
  7. fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    If you can find a high-resolution picture of the G-Bass from the front, you can "measure" it yourself. Use the 17" distance from the nut to the 12th fret to get the scale right, and it's easy from there. I did this when I was trying to figure out the string spacing of the Bongo, and it worked fine. Dimensions of the MM pickup are commonly available. Bartolini has very good drawings.

EDIT: I played a G Bass once, and the only thing I remember about it was the neck felt extremely narrow.
  8. BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    I own a G bass, and will gladly measure it for you, but I won't get a chance until Tuesday.
  9. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Harmony Central review quote:

Hmm, the way he puts it implies it was a drop in replacement but you can't be sure.
  10. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Peavey says there are no drop in replacements. Oh well, No biggie, im not sure im in the market for one. Im pretty sure im getting a HH SR5.