Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey G4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DanNowhere, Jan 3, 2003.

1. Tried a search here, on Google, and even the Peavey website on these, and haven't found much, so I thought I'd put this question out there.

Ran across a Peavey G4 at my local music store last night. Looked new (probably NOS, I guess, it appears Peavey's not making these anymore?), and it was priced at $ 495.00, marked down from their list of $ 900-something.

I don't know anything about these; this seemed like a pretty good deal for a US made active bass with a graphite neck. Nice looking bass, too, had a green flake finish.

Is this a good price for one of these, or just average? Anyone own one of these? Are they worth it?

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Friggin' great bass if that's what you're looking for. Low sales are inexplicable. I got my Palaedium NOS in 1997 for similar reasons.

3. TheLarch

TheLarch Supporting Member

Try Ebay as you will find these going for around $300. Great basses, IMHO, but people are likely turned off by a misperceived view of Peavey as a maker of cheap products; inexpensive - yes, but definitely good quality for the $$.

4. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    I love mine- a killer axe for the money and then some. Terrific neck, fine workmanship. Try searching for "G-bass" or "g-bass" or "G bass".
    G4 is a nickname...

5. I tried several different combinations of "Peavey G Bass" when I was searching. I do remember you were one of two people who showed having one in their profile, though. If I'm not mistaken, the one I looked at actually said "G4" on the headstock.

Thanks for the responses so far. I posted this here and on one other forum, and the responses have been very sparse, but always positive. It's obvious these weren't very popular, but the few of you who bought them seem very happy with them. I'm gonna go back and give this thing a serious test drive.

6. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    If you care, Bass Player magazine gave it a "Top Tone" and "Best Value" (I think?) award in one of their multi-bass shootouts a few years back. It basically destroyed everything in the price range.

7. Peavey do make a Grind bass, maybe this is what you were thinking of? i remember someone recommending me a G4, but i never got round to looking it up, i THINK it was Embellisher, but i cant remember as it was a good few months ago, you could maybe PM him and ask?! anyway, here's a link to the Peavey Grind bass, tell us if it is what you're looking for...

http://www.peavey.com/products/amps_mi/bassguitars/grindbass.cfm

here is a pic of one as well...[​IMG]

P.S. hope the pic worked, not tried it before!

8. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    The G bass is not the Grind. G bass is an older model, with a graphite fiber neck. The G Basss 4 had one pickup, while the G Bass V (5-string) or G-V had two pickups, and was priced higher. I've played a G-V unamplified, and it felt good to my hands.

9. ok, there was me trying to be all clever and showing my knoqledge, and i got it totally wrong!! oh well, i had another quick look and found an old Bass Player review: http://archive.bassplayer.com/z1998/9807/4-string/4peavey.shtml it must have been quite a short run because they only revealed it at NAMM 1998!
    and here's some other guys review of it from Harmony Central: http://www.harmony-central.com/Bass/Data4/Peavey/G-Bass-01.html
    hope that lots more useful than my previous attempt, wouldnt actually mind trying one of those, but never seen them in the UK! they look right up my street.
    J.

10. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Like (I think) the Pallaedium, the G-Bass is a short-lived very reasonably priced carbon-fiber neck bass. I guess Peavey buyers aren't looking for graphite necks, and graphite-neck buyers aren't looking for Peaveys.

The five string might have had other upgrades compared to the four, besides the additional pickup. Possibly preamped vs. passive.

11. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    The G-Bass 4 has a basswood body and the G-Bass 5 has an alder body. Both have active electronics.

12. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The Palaedium does not have a carbon-fiber neck. It has a two piece maple neck which is reinforced with two graphite rods as well as a generously thick ebony slab fingerboard. Similar price range and target though in their inception. Both fantastic basses.

13. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    My mistake. Actually, I've never even seen a picture of a Pallaedium.

The other Peavey graphite neck I was thinking of is the B-Quad.

14. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The B-Quad was and is a great bass, but it's more upscale than the Palaedium/G-bass. You could say that the Cirrus basses replaced the spacey looking and ridiculously complicated, but excellent B-Quads.