Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey GPS power amp users

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lo-freq, Feb 16, 2003.

1. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I am looking for any feedback I can get from Peavey GPS power amp users out there.

I did a search and didn't find much info.

Considering getting a GPS2600 to use with a SansAmp RBI and Bag End S15B-D & D10B(X?)-D (all future possible choices for system).

2. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I haven't been able to find many people using the GPS series in bass rigs and I don't know why. It's a nice amp. I was seriously considering getting one but decided on going with a different manufacturer. The GPS 2600 is essentially a Crest Audio design or at least that's what I was told by one of Peavey's representatives.

3. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I think is is a fairly new series (not sure how new). Down-side of that is there also won't be a lot of reliability info available (but reliability seems to be one of Peavey's historically strongest areas in general).

4. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    The GPS series has been available for at least two to three years and possibly longer. During that time I've haven't heard any horror stories about them. There are a bunch of guys on the Peavey forum that use them in PA systems. I guess what made me decide to look elsewhere was the fact that they are a little heavy and the that it was possible for me to get other quality amps, like the PLX series QSC, new for a lot less in my area. The asking price for a GPS 2600 locally is around $990.00. For the GPS 1500 it's about $720.00. Ultimately, I didn't even go with a QSC. After doing a lot of research, I went out on a limb and it worked out wonderful. Come to think of it, there is one person that I know of who uses a GPS 900 in their bass rig. Contact camoe. ;)

5. camoe

camoe

Sep 7, 2001
    Lafayette, CO
    I'm still using my GPS 900 with a Bag End D10BXD cab and an Aguilar DB680. Although I haven't had the opportunity to push it to it's limit, I find it to be quite powerful and it has alot of headroom. It's fans run all the time but they aren't any louder than the typical fan. Tone wise it's fairly neutral (being a PA amp) and I have haven't had one problem. Keep in mind that I use it exclusively in bridged mode and stereo mode may not exhibit the quite the same transiet response or "slam" that bridge mode gives. Looking at your proposed system, it would seem to have similar tonal qualities that mine has which is a strong midrange quality with slam and punch to boot. However, I will one day get the Bag End 15 or 18 to get those deep dub tones.

Peace

6. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I would love to hear your system. I am a big fan of Aguilar amps. There's a DB680 on ebay I wish I had the jack to bid on.

I think for the same $$ as the GPS2600, I can get a PLX3002 or come down a little on headroom and outlay for the PLX2402.

Thanks for the input, camoe.