1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peavey Grind 4 string bass thoughts?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sunset Shalom, Dec 18, 2017.

1. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    So I already own a cheaper Aria P/J, but I just saw a used Peavey Grind 4 string for super cheap locally...

I mainly play guitar but I do really enjoy bass, I don't think I need another bass but for the price it's really tempting...

Here it is:

00303_2YAllfcgbDq_1200x900.
    00y0y_gbG4GYMxO3G_1200x900.

What sayeth talk bass? The ones I see for sale are 500$ new and 300+ used, where as this one is priced at 150$! And it comes with a soft case bag...

It's really tempting me for the price. I might get it and possibly sell my Aria P/J depending on how they compare.

So talk me in or out of buying this beauty...

2. Benko

Benko

Dec 16, 2014
    Tokyo, Japan
    BUY IT!

(are you really looking for help here? wrong place!)

El-Bob, Aqualung60, smogg and 2 others like this.
  3. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Don't buy it!!!

(....send me the sellers contact info.)

BamaBird, TinyE, mmon77 and 6 others like this.
  4. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    I guess I was hoping for a good excuse to buy it (or not) but for the price I don't think I can resist! Will either replace my P/J with it or keep it as a backup as the Grind looks much nicer drool

I didn't post a link to the ad just in case anyone else is in the area :nailbiting: Didn't want it to get snagged while I am still thinking it over.

Old Blastard likes this.
  5. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Had a five string Grind. Very well made bass and that's a great price. If you need some excuses, I can think of some...it's heavy - I thought it was just my five string but I tried a 4 string at my local music store and it too was heavy. there's a thread here which compares the earlier versions of the Grind to the more recent ones, can't remember which one was the heavier of the two, I think the one's made in Vietnam were, the later ones were made in China I believe. Mine was made in Vietnam and to me, that thing sure was heavy.
    Also the pickup output was pretty weak compared to my other basses. Everything else as in the neck and craftsmanship was great. For $150, even if you found the pickups inadequate, you can replace them and still come out ahead.

Edit" Here's the thread on the changes to the Peavey Grind.
    Changes to Peavey Grind Bass

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
    Bass V and Sunset Shalom like this.
  6. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    I don't mind heavy instruments too much, a decent strap usually does the trick. I also tend to prefer lower output passive pickups, at least on guitar. For the price a decent upgrade could be very worth it though.

Also thanks for that link, I guess this is one of the newer ones based on the lack of indent on the horn like the old ones. The seller also said the origin of manufacture is not anywhere on the bass which is odd.

7. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    Going to meet the guy in an hour or so, very excited to give it a try :hyper::bassist:

I mainly have experience playing a cheap bolt on P/J so a through neck with humbuckers should be a nice change of pace :cool:

Maxdusty likes this.
  8. It's basically got everything I like:
    natural finish
    neck-through
    string-through
    2+2 headstock

9. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    The weight is by no means a deal killer for me, but for some it may be an important factor. It's solid for sure and that's a good thing also for the tonality of the instrument. In terms of the pickups ...it might just be on the earlier ones, but mine were weak even compared to my other passive basses. I found myself having to really jack up the volume to hear it and the tone wasn't quite as thick. I thought my pickups were defective but the 4 string at the music store had the same kind of output. I later read about how some had similar concerns about it and ended up replacing their pickups. I don't know about the volume and output on the later models, they could be better in quality.
    Again, everything else about it I really liked, craftsmanship is top notch, love it being neck through.
    Should you feel you need to upgrade the pickups here's another thread about what other Grind users have replaced the stock pickups with. Peavey Grind Pup replacement?

Sunset Shalom likes this.
  10. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    From what I read the older ones used a heavier wood and the newer china ones have a lightweight mahogany body. This one is decently heavy but not too bad, I think it's just a tad heavier then my Aria P/J.

My Aria still has it's stock P/J pups which are just cheap aria ones, but I have been meaning to try out some nicer ones. So thanks for that link as I might look up upgrades for both basses.

Anyways here it is with my Carvin BR510, just finished some tea and I am about to test it out! The seller included a roadrunner soft case + cord as well, I should have given him more then 160$ but I'm on a budget.

It's a little worn, could use a polish. But it looks great! drool It might be in need of a set up slightly but I think it plays better then my Aria, not surprising as the aria is fairly cheaper.

kodiakblair and Killed_by_Death like this.
  11. Polish?
    Wipe it with a damp cloth :wideyed:

Lvjoebass and Sunset Shalom like this.
  12. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    Fair enough, that definitely does the trick but a bit of lemon oil or something can give it a great sheen. The seller actually recommended giving it a "lemon oil bath" :roflmao:

The fret board seems very clean though so I may hold off on that, a few of my guitars could really use a clean though :whistle: I try to wash my hands before I play and they still get grubby!

13. If you want to darken it up a lot, sure, but if not just damp clean cloth.

My Ibanez Premium has a similar finish & it's never seen oil, at least not by me & I'm the first owner.

I'm not sure who started this whole "oiling the fretboard" thing, but I wish they hadn't.

TrustRod likes this.
  14. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    I think the issue is overdoing it, also a lot of "lemon oil" sold for guitars is really just scented machine oil or something...

But the times I used it my fret board played much smoother, it did darken my SG with a maple fretboard a bit but honestly I think it looks more natural now.

I have used wet cloth as well which can work fine, but it doesn't have the same "fret board lubricating" effect as certain oils. Some feat boards are already pretty oily too so it's not necessary, like a lot of rosewood and other dark woods.

15. If it has the VFL (vertical flux loading) pickups, you'll probably want to replace them.

16. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Congratulations on your new bass- good score. Let us know how the test goes.

17. AcridSaint

AcridSaint ベーシスト Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2012
    Raleigh
    I don't play well.
    What Aria do you have?

18. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    It's a Pro 2 Avante series, with a nice natural finish. Made in korea. It's a solid bass but it could use a set up probably. Been meaning to try out some nicer pickups in it and maybe experiment with the wiring.

It is going very nicely, the pickups are definitely low output. My P/J is louder I feel like, though I still need to do a comparison. But I think it sounds pretty great and it plays especially nice, the action is smooth as silk. Makes me realize how badly my Aria needs a set up most likely :roflmao: It has a lot of "growl" even for being lower output, sounds great for slap and some rock stuff. I haven't tried v/t v/t on a bass before either but it's pretty nice, might have to add a 4th knob to my p/j.

With a nicer set of pickups I feel like it will be an incredible bass for the money. I haven't played many expensive instruments but I can't imagine them playing much better. I don't even think I would want lower action.

As I got it very cheap too I might look into some wiring upgrades. It's got 2 humbuckers so maybe I could coil split at least the neck pup for some single coil sounds too, or add a parallel/ series switch. Or an in/out of phase switch.

Any other interesting ideas for mods/upgrades? Also the strings on it seem decent but I will probably want to try something nicer out soon. I thought I had some R Cocco sets laying around but I just have guitar ones left...

I have never tried flats before which some people may find shocking, so maybe I will find a decent set of flats or halfwounds if they make them for bass.

19. I love the body shape, very Tobias looking.

20. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    Look what I just noticed:

IMAG0814.

I really love this shape too, the aria is very nice as the edges are all rounded off. But as you can see the Peavey's horns expose a lot more of the fretboard, so I think it will be better for playing very high notes.

Also the peavey seems to have little plastic fret markers on the side that look like they light up... I don't see a battery cover on the back but maybe it has room in the main cavity, that would be cool though.

TrustRod and mikewalker like this.