Peavey Grind 5 with Sims Super Quad pickups

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TDBASSMAN86, Jan 26, 2019.

1. TDBASSMAN86

TDBASSMAN86

Jan 15, 2019
    So I've always loved my Peavey Grind, but recently I've been playing a lot more and realized that when I turned up the tone on my bridge pickup, I got a real nasty hum, like it wasnt grounded. I took it in and found that the wiring was fine, so they added some shielding to the cavity, but that still didnt fix the problem.

I decided that maybe it was the pickups and started looking around for replacements and fell in love with the Sims Super Quad pickups. I took my bass in again to a luthier figuring that I'd ask him to swap out the pots and put all new wiring in with the new pickups.

I found out from him that the problem with the hum was the strings not being grounded when I string them through the bridge, since the bridge has individual saddles. Ended up putting the strings through the body and put the new pickups in and wow this thing sounds so incredible now. I've fallen in love with it all over again. Anyway just wanted to share some pics of my new pickups from my luthier's instagram.

charles hensley and kodiakblair like this.
  2. @TDBASSMAN86

That's looking sharp. Any reason why your luthier fella didn't run a wire or copper tape under your saddles ?
    Normally the ground runs from the G saddle into the control cavity,a wire or small strip of copper links the others to the G.

It's simple thing to do yourself ,then you can string through bridge again :thumbsup:

NicJimBass likes this.
  3. TDBASSMAN86

TDBASSMAN86

Jan 15, 2019
    Not really sure, didn't ask or even really think about it but I probably will look into doing it since I'd like the option. Other than adding a little tension to the strings going through the body instead of the bridge are there any disadvantages to going that route?

4. None that I can think of :) It's about a nano-second quicker to string through bridge :laugh:

5. TDBASSMAN86

TDBASSMAN86

Jan 15, 2019
    Gotcha, thanks for the info!

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 20, 2022