Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey Grind 5

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by sweems, Mar 23, 2003.

1. sweems

sweems

Feb 13, 2003
    Benton, AR
    I resently bought this Grind 5. It had a string buzz in the store but I liked the tone of it and bought it. After reading alot on the fourm I thought it may be the setup instead of the strings. I loosened the strings and put a thick peice of paper between the strings and the peice they set between at the top of the neck to raise the action a little to see if it was string hight causing the problem. It still buzzes but not as bad. I only raised the B,A,E strings. the bottom 2 don't buzz. It doesn't buzz open on the B,A,E unless I really pluck the strings hard, but on either of these string it will buzz all the way down to the 15th fret. It is a neckthrough design so there is no truss rod to adjust. Do I need to change the strings at this point or something else? And if I need to change the string what do I change them to too keep my low tone. Thanks for any help,
    Shane

2. sweems

sweems

Feb 13, 2003
    Benton, AR
    Just wanted to add, if I play with a pick fret buzz is decreased quite abit.

Shane

3. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Just for the record, a Peavey Grind has a dual action truss rod that is adjustable.

Sounds like your bass just needs a set up.

Pkr2

4. sweems

sweems

Feb 13, 2003
    Benton, AR
    Where do I find the truss rod bolt?

Shane

5. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Sweems, I'm not that familiar with the Grind basses so i can't answer that question.

I went to the Peavey website but I couldn't find the answer there either.

Maybe someone more familiar with your bass will read this post and respond.

Pkr2

6. sweems

sweems

Feb 13, 2003
    Benton, AR
    Ok, I found the nut, turned it 1/8th of a turn tight. I waited a few min. and put the 5th and 1st string back on and started to tune them up and found out real quick that I turned it the wrong way. The strings just made a thud on the frets before they where even completely tuned. So I took the strings back off and turned it back to the origanal position and then turned it 1/8th turn loose. I waited a few min. and done the same thing with the 2 strings and it was immetialy better. I put all the strings on and tuned it up and let it sit last night. I checked the tuning this morning and had to tighten the strings a little to get it back in tune. Played it a little and the buzz is not gone but better. When I pluck the strings I get a slap back off the frets right when I pluck them. Am I going the right direction here. When I get home today I will play again just to see how it plays. If I still have a slight slap against the frets when I pluck the strings should I not make another truss rod adjustment or should I do something else first. Thanks for any help,
    Shane

7. sweems

sweems

Feb 13, 2003
    Benton, AR
    Tonight I got home retuned the bass and played a little. Still has a slight fret buzz. I turned the truss nut just a little more loose. Now total I have turned it just shigh of 1/4 turn. I tightend the strings back up and the buzz it just almost gone. I will let it settle tonight and see how it is in the morning. One thing though I can look down the neck from the side and it is tilted frontward, is this normal. This is a great fourm from what I have read so far and I need a little help because I can't trust any of the shops around here.
    Please any respose,
    Shane

8. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Exactly where on the neck is it buzzing now, and which strings are buzzing?

A dual truss rod probably wont require very much waiting between adjustmets.

There is no way for me to know how misadjusted the TR was to start with but a quarter of a turn is a pretty significant amount with a dual rod.

Depending on where the buzz is now, you may need to tweak the bridge heigth.

The idea is to eliminate the buzz with a combination of relief (neck bow) and bridge heigth adjustments. The location of the buzz indicates which adjustment is needed.

I'm assuming that you have removed the paper shim that you tried.?

Just for clarity, where exactly did you have that shim? The part that the strings crosses on the tuning key end of the neck is called the nut. I hope thats not the part that you had the him under.?

Yes, a very slight bow in the neck is normal.

Fret each string in the first fret and the last fret at the same time. Tap the string above the seventh fret and you should hear a click that indicates that you have a bit of clearance between the string and the fret. A clearance of less than the G string thickness is usually enough to eliminate fret buzz.

You may need an extra pair of hands unless you have a guitar capo to help with the fretting.

Pkr2

9. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    By the way, it would be great if you'd take a minute or two to fill out your profile so we know a little about who we're talking to. :)

Tnx

Pkr2

10. sweems

sweems

Feb 13, 2003
    Benton, AR
    5thB (3rd - 5th Fret)
    4thE (2nd 3rd 4th Fret)
    3rdA (2nd - 12th Fret)
    2nd (4th - 9th Fret)
    1st (4th - 10th Fret)
    The (...) above is what fret is being played. I haven't seen where this is a dual truss rod as there is only one nut to turn. I have removed the paper shim, it was between the strings and the "nut" if that is what the rubber/plastic thing is at the top of the neck. The gap right now at Fret 9 on the B string is a little less than the gap of a credit card.

Thanks for any help you can give,
    Shane

11. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    You still need a little more bend(relief) in the neck.

Turn the adjustment another little bit (1/8 turn) and see if the buzz starts clearing up. Try to get two or three credit card thicknesses clearance. You can always take relief out once the buzz clears up just untill the buzz starts returning.

A dual rod only has one adjustment nut. A web search should turn up a description of how it's made and how it works.

Pkr2