Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey Grind Bass 4 w/ 20W amp or Yamaha RBX170 w/ 30W Amp?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Insidi0us, Aug 6, 2004.

1. Insidi0us

Insidi0us

Jul 30, 2004
    I want to buy my first bass, and I finally came across these two options - the Peavey Grind Bass 4 BXP NTB w/ a 20 Watts amp (probably the Peavey Microbass) or the Yamaha RBX170 w/ a 30 Watts amp (maybe the Roland Cube 30, or the Behringer BX300, or something else, not sure yet).
    It looks like the Grind Bass is a really fine bass for the price (to my eyes :)) - it has neck through body with two humbucking pickups, 24 frets and damn beautiful body with natural wood finish.
    I should also add that my music style is Fusion and Prog. Metal, and also that I can't actually play the Peavey, because the local store here doesn't has it. so that's why I need your advice.
    Thanks in advance! :hyper:

2. t'rants

t'rants

Jan 18, 2003
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I have a Grind 5 NTB, it's a great bass for the money. A few people on here had some quality problems with the first few basses that came over, but Peavey seemed to take care of them. The new ones have a better bridge than mine, but it's still a good playing, good looking bass.

3. Insidi0us

Insidi0us

Jul 30, 2004
    ok I've read some reviews on it and it seems that some people praise it and some (not much tho..) hate it. If it was only matter of the guitar, I would have picked the Peavey, but if I want it I need to have a 20 Watts amp. is it that horrible to have a 20W amp? as a beginner, I would only be playing it and practicing it at home.

4. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    I have played one at my local Peavey dealer and it is the nicest bass in that price range that I have played. It has a feel not unlike my Cirrus. I have played a couple of lower priced Yamahas that were ok, but not as nice as the Peavey.

5. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Buy whatever bass you like the most. The amp is only for noise for practice so it's much more important to get an instrument that inspires you to play it, feels comfortable and you like.

I've not tried to other amps you mentioned, but I use a BX300 as a practice amp with my Alembics....

6. Insidi0us

Insidi0us

Jul 30, 2004
    Generally I really like the looks of the peavey and it is ALOT more desireable for me than the Yamaha, but I can't give it a play and hear its sound. but with the price and the positive reviews, I don't believe anything can go wrong...

7. ejsagun

ejsagun

Jan 20, 2003
    Hi.

I say get the peavey grind. Its way better than any lower end yammy.

I own a Yamaha Rbx 750 a. its a good bass. Its far better than a Rbx 170

The Peavey is on par or even better than my yammy.
    plus im getin A 4 string grind by December. hehe

8. Synthia

Synthia

Jun 8, 2003
    Philippines
    I would really recomend you the grind... i played it in our local music store and i was blown away by it! Man I myself is considering to buy one of those babies!

About the amp, the peavey is a good one my friend ejsagun owns one. I've tried it and it's a nice decent amp.

Peace!

9. Insidi0us

Insidi0us

Jul 30, 2004
    Wow it sounds like the Grind Bass is really good, but I came across a thread at another forum about the Grind Bass and all the replies there contained recommendations about why NOT to buy this bass.
    I'm kinda confused about this bass... are there any suggestions for another bass in the price range (~$350) that I should check?

10. Synthia

Synthia

Jun 8, 2003
    Philippines
    well i cant find any to compete with the grind... you can look at the lowest rxb series i think its in the range. you can look at washburn xb series, some say neck problems develop but i think they solved it. (I think).

The problem with the grind is the quality issues because its made in cambodia i think. If you can get your hands on many units i recommend that you test them all! But the bottom line is... where can you find a bass with the custom look, nice electronics and good hardware. only in the grind man! hehehe!

Peace!

11. Insidi0us

Insidi0us

Jul 30, 2004
    Umm sorry for bumping this, but I have an important question related - Is the quality control over the Peavey Grind Bass BXP NTB is better now? because I saw many people say that I should check it before buying it because of really bad quality control, but the guy from post #2 claims that they doesn't exist yet, because if they doesn't, I think I'll order it from music123 or musicians friend or something.
    thanks again

12. Synthia

Synthia

Jun 8, 2003
    Philippines
    well the quality issues of the grind is not a very big problem. We are suggesting you to test every grind you can put your hands on because there are diamonds in the rough. We didnt suggest that there are really bad units out there, only that peavey have inconsistent quality control. Don't worry about it. ;)

13. t'rants

t'rants

Jan 18, 2003
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Here's the thread I was thinking of in regard to quality issues.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76163&highlight=peavey+grind+ntb

My Grind has little issues like rough fret ends, and the body wings could have been sanded a little smoother to the neck, but nothing big or unfixable. I've played a few more recent examples at guitar shops, and they seem to be better than the early ones. Still, it's not a $1500 bass and that shows in the build quality. All that said, I'm not at all disappointed with mine.