Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey Grind Bass 5 NTB : Opinions Wanted

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Aussiephoenix, Jan 5, 2006.

1. I've put up my OLP Stingray 4 for trade, and one of the trade possibilities that popped up is one of these...
    :help:
    Anyone have any experience with these? what did you think? good points? bad points, etc? They seem to get some pretty nice reviews... but sometimes people just review something 2 days after they0've bought it when the GAS has just turned to bliss... so, let me know what you think...

[​IMG]

Features:
    24 frets

35 in. scale
    Passive humbucking pickups

Mahogany neck with Maple stringers

Imbuya wings

Neck-through-body design

Scalloped bottom horn

2. ironfist

ironfist

Feb 5, 2000
    I've played the 5 string model you're interested in as well as a few of the four string versions. Overall I like the basses a lot and feel they represent a very good value. Quality does vary a bit from bass to bass however, so one would want to keep that in mind if doing mail order. I also played one that had sharp protruding fret ends. This is likely an issue of the fingerboard drying up though, and can be remedied by a competent tech. The spacing on the fiver is pretty tight, which may or may not be to your liking.

The pickups are the weakest point on the bass. They are pretty dull and lifeless sounding and don't have much output. The NTB basses are great candidates for pickup replacement. I think those old DiMarzio Alchemy 101 soapbars would be awesome on one of these basses. I read somewhere that dimarzio was going to start making them again but haven't heard anything since.

3. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    The absolute best bass I have ever owned,and am STILL kicking myself that I sold...I lucked out and got one of the "good" ones. the pickups sounded good, but really needed a preamp.To this day, I still want one!

4. i love teh grind NTB series...they are very easy to play...i've never played a 5, only the 4, and i recall hearing someone say the B string is a tad floppy, but that might just be personal preference or just a bad grind :)

i'd hit that trade :)