Peavey Grind Bass 6 NTB go or no-go?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by C//LiMBa, Feb 7, 2004.

1. i can buy this bass for about 350EUR, would this be worth it? i'm willing to play a 6-string for a long time and was searching for a cheap but quality bass and ended up with this one...
  2. I own a 5 NTB and have found it to be a killer instrument. In fact most of the TB'ers (a dozen or so) that have grabbed it have said the same thing.

An excellent bass for the money.
  3. sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    if you get one, don't buy it offline. Make sure you can go and play it yourself. The grind NT5 that I played was horrible. Bad fit and finish, bad sound. I love peavey and give them the benefit of the doubt whenever possible. Unfortunately, they did not live up to what I thought of them with the grind series.
  4. I am now on my 2nd NTB4, and from what i can tell you do not but the bass sight unseen or played. I bought a really nice NTB4 and a couple months later the body wood started cracking, so i sent it back and they sent me a new one after i forked out around $70 to have it proffesionally packed and shiped. I got the new bass and there was a couple of flaws like a few rogue high frets and some minor finish stuff but not a huge deal and nothing that cant be fixed.

All i'm trying to say is that the quality control on that line is poor to non existent, so please play before you buy.
  5. pretty much, thats all you need to know. i saw a NTB 4 in a store, and thought it looked fairly nice. i picked ip up and played it. bad tone, rough finish, and let me tell you, it was way overpriced where i saw it. it was like $690 CAN
  6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I agree with the other posts. Try before you buy. I have played some Grind NTBs that were very nice for the price, and at least 3 or 4 that were junk at any price. Very dodgy qc.
  7. just curious, does the cirrus line suffer from the same poor qc problems?
  8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

No. The qc on the Cirrus line in particular, and the USA basses/guitars in general, is very good.
  9. sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    that is what was so dissappointing about the grind series...

I expect better (I am not one of those snobs who discount Peavey automatically)
  10. If still had the sale on those Tobias Toby Pro- 6 strings, I'd say look into that. I got mine for 439 and couldn't be happier. With basses at these price, the pickups will lack, and I'd be quite certain that both the grind basses and the tobys are on the same standards as far as bang for the buck. I was looking at NTB six strings until the Toby came around with a $200 off sale, got it for $429. GREAT bass. Look into it.