Peavey Grind NTB

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jongor, Oct 29, 2003.

1. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Bassplayer mag. recently gave this bass a stellar review.

Does anyone have any experience/opinions about the construction, playability, tone....?
  2. sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    I haven't actually played one, but I took a look at one the other day. I am a fan of Peavey products. They make good stuff poor guys like me can usually afford. I was REALLY looking forward to getting my hands on a Grind NTB.

Now for the rest of the story...

I was shocked to see the build quality of this bass. Not only did it appear to lack any finish (even oil), it appeared not to even have received a finish sanding. Honestly, I have seen better looking squire basses. It may have played well, but I would say spend the money on a bolt-on bass(Tribute for example) that would be alot better for the money. Try it and see if you like it. I just didn't like the fact that it felt like it was assembled by a high school shop class.
  3. I, for one, hate the Grind NTB. The ones that I've played all had terrible fretwork, and the five string versions had some of the floppyest Bs I've ever played.
  4. MyNameIsMUD

Sep 25, 2003
    From what I read the factory they build them at has poor quality controll. I have heard some ppl say these things are simply amazing and other's have said that they are pure crap.
    I would highly highly recommend NOT ordering one. If you find a nice one that you really like at a music store buy that one, but if you order you may end up with firewood.

This of corse is what I gathered from searching thre the TB forum's. I still look forward to trying one out myself at a mr.e's :)
  5. kutz

Mar 19, 2003
    Orange County CA
    I played one and practically cut my fingers on the frets. Really lousy fret job, but it had a very comfortable neck otherwise. Very light. Sound was ok, nothing special.
  6. the_faceless666

Mar 3, 2003
    Well, I actually own one, it is my main axe.
    I must say it is one SICK bass (for the price of course). Being really poor, this bass was a blessing for me.

First, being necktru, it has infinite sustain. Also, string tru and angled headstock help giving the B string alot of thightnest. The sound, for a passive bass, is very good and lound. I played a dream theater cover gig with it and it absolutely rocked!

I have the 5-string version, and I higly recommend it.
    But try it first...just to be sure
  7. some of them are great.....the one i played in a little ol music store...before i saw the list...i would have paid five or six hundred for.....a four string.....but they're not all worth that
  8. I own one and it's my first 5'er.

It's a stellar player. I bought it for the tone but the other characteristics like a tight B were just icing on the cake. It's got a wonderful growl no matter how you adjust the tone. Fit and finish are near perfect. It's one of the first smaller body styles that seems to work for me. This bass was added to a stable of 7 others.

Price couldn't be beat- $279 with hardshell case from a local outlet.
  9. MyNameIsMUD

Sep 25, 2003
    it is kinda funny to see such mixxed review's on a sub 400dollar bass..:p

I still can't wait to try one. :/
  10. we have a few in my local store, and I was not too impressed, untill I picked up the sixer. Funny how I just happen to be shopping around for a nice 6. This thing was Awesome! I was blown away. It looked good, felt good, sounded good, and it had a price tag of $389! I think I'm going to go there today, and put some money down on it, untill I get the rest.
  11. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I've tried one, a six string, at a local music store. I liked it a lot, except that it weighed a TON!! It was likt it wa made of lead. Sounded good played good. Other than the weight I liked it a lot.
  12. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I played one at a local music store. not impressed at all. felt like a toy compared to other import basses there. I didn't even plug it in because I was so unimpressed with the feel, weight and look of the Ibuya(??) body wings. So light in weight it felt like a broom handle. My 2cents.
  13. I went and put 10% down, enough to start layaway. I got 90 days to come up with the rest.

I went up there today to mess around, just to make sure it was still as good as I remembered. Played around a bit on it and was convinced, I needed to make it mine :)

The price was $387 a lot cheaper then I seen at, and also cheaper then the 5 string at the same store $449???:confused: So, maybe it was marked wrong? But I'm stoked!
  14. kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    I think the bottom line is poor quality control. I had a 5 string that had good fretwork and played well (after I set it up that is). Where mine fell short was in the sound and appearance categories. The sound was the most disappointing (and ultimate reason for my returning the bass). I'm used to both passive and active basses, but these passive humbuckers were extrememly dark (I have another passive bass w/ 2 humbuckers, a Gibson LPB-1 and it has much more tonal diversity). The Grind was dark to the point of sounding muddy. It actually sounded good soloed when playing alone, but didn't have much presence in the mix with drums, guitar, horns, etc. the sound guy and other players kept asking me to turn up! (That NEVER happens) The bottom line is that there was no real definition or tone present.

The finish (or lack thereof) was also disappointing. My instrument wings were much brighter than the bass shows on Peavey's website (or in the BP review), mine looked as bright as maple which would have been fine if it wasn't for several odd "stains" that seemed to show in the wood. I think that these were natural blemishes in the wood that a little oil or natural finish would clear up, but I decided that even in the $375 price range, I would look elsewhere for a five string. I have a Skyline 55-02 in mind (I tried the 55-01 and longed for the more versatile electronics).

15. Imbuya is known more commonly as Brazilian Walnut.

Something that we found out about these basses when we could compare a several side by side - the darker the wings, the heavier the instrument. That may or may not be true of the entire run but at least for the 5 or 6 instruments we had to compare, it was true.
  16. Does anyone know what size the pickups are in the Grind NTB 6? I was looking at putting some EMG's in there. Or maybe some Barts:D

What would be a good combo? I was thinking a P for the neck and a Dual Coil for the bridge. EMG has soap bars called the extended series (or something) where you can get all kinds of configurations. Maybe two Jazz single coil types? what do you guys think?
  17. I am on my second 4 stringer.

The first on i had i bought in florida on a trip. I certaily wasn't looking for a new bass, but i found a keeper. I liked the one i bought from that store, had good fret work, good finish, and had good looks and sound. I couldn't be happier with it.

BUT THEN, about a month and a half later the body wings decided to crack in a couple of places and the wings tried to de-laminate themselves from the neck! I was not happy to say the least. So i called up Peavey and told them the deal and they said to send it back to them and they would send me a new one, which of course was cool with me, except that i had to eat the shipping on it to the factory.

2 weeks later i got the new bass...Not happy, the finish is much sloppier than the first one, and there are a couple of frets that are a little uneven in the high ranges. the sound i want is still there but i am just not as satisfied with this one. i was thinking on sending it back but i don't want to take a chance and get something worse than what i got and have to pay shipping again. I think its going up for sale soon.
  18. man that sux! That's the one thing about these, the consistancy stinks. There were 4 or 5 total in the store that I'm buying mine, and they were ALL different.

And I also found that what Hambone said was true. There was a real dark 5 string that was way heavy. Also, my six string has a string thru body, where all the other didn't. I wonder if mine is last years or something?

A lot of them seemed to be drying out. Maybe they could do with an oil treatment?