Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey Grind NTB

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vox Populi, Jan 19, 2005.

1. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    I played one of these at the local music shop today, and I really liked it. The neck felt great, and the action was nice and low, with no buzzing or other noises.

[​IMG]

A search here yields many opinions on the Grind NTB. Alot of people didn't like it, thought it was shoddily constructed. I thought it was built great for an import. This store also had a Redwood Peavey Cirrus 4 for sale. I played them both, and I think this little Grind NTB sounded nearly as good as the Cirrus through the Hartke 120 watt practice amp they had for testing products.

Of course, alot of people say the quality of these is widely varied. I can kind of vouch for that. The store also had a 5 string version of the same bass. I didn't like that one. The B string didn't come through well at all. But it was still nicely constructed, and of very good quality workmanship wise.

Anyone here own one? I'm curious about how intensively you have to clean this bass since it has no finish per say. I heard someone say they get really dirty after awhile from the oil in your hands and such. Is there a way to prevent that? I think it would be a nice step up from my current beginner bass if I decided to buy it.

2. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    I played a 4 and a 5.

Personally, I think the (unfortunately discontinued) Grind BXP wipes them both out... especially with an active EQ. However, in their price range, I do think they're just fine. I think they played ok, I just didn't like their tone much, but that's purely subjective... and I don't think they're poorly constructed (again, for their price range.)

These don't have oil finishes, do they? I was pretty sure they were poly satin, in which case I wouldn't worry about care. If so just polish/clean it like you would any other. If not, you might wanna' get some good tung oil and work it in maybe a few times a year depending on your use and climate.

3. Sane

Sane

Dec 4, 2004
    Melbourne Fl
    I own one... really my main base atm... I have no problem with tone but like you said thats subjective... I can get a nice growl out of mine.. but without the active eq it can tend to get drowned out especially on the hi end. but with a nice eq on your amp you can get right back in the mix. As far as playability, for the price, its amazing. The scalloped horn makes it easy to access the 24 frets.... fast neck... though it is thin. Solid as a rock... And though its probley hit or miss with each one, well above average fret work. Takes some time to get that action down but got it low with no buzz with a .105 mind you. I wasnt impressed by the 5 and 6 .... but that has a lot to do with those horrible stock strings they come with .... Overall price < Quality ... Good base.

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I tried out a 6 string at a local store. The quality and sound was fine, as was the playability. The one I tried weighed a ton though. Too heavy for me to consider. Nice bass!

5. Sane

Sane

Dec 4, 2004
    Melbourne Fl
    Well my 4 is right at 10 lbs .... never noticed the weight till I you sad something.... bah now my neck hurts... :)

6. stephgrind

stephgrind

Nov 18, 2004
    This is my first post, i'm sorry for the spelling i'm from québec ( french)

I have the 5 string version of this bass and i like it a lot. 3 or 4 months after i got it i started having trouble with the jack i had to bring it back to the store so they could fix it, it's find now.

7. ironfist

ironfist

Feb 5, 2000
    I played an NTB four and absolutely loved it. The only detractor was the pickups, which sounded weak and muddy with low output. A pickup swap would do wonders for that bass in my opinion. I also played an NTB 5 a couple months later. This one wasn't as good. Decent construction, but the fret job was bad (buzzing, sharp ends, etc).

8. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    I'm pretty sure it was some kind of oil finish or something. It wasn't a finish like on a Fender if that's what you mean by satin.

The reason I asked is because some people complained that the oil from your hands works it's way into the wood after repeated use. And fingerprints show up very clearly and never go away. I don't know if this is true, some people in other threads have mentioned it.