peavey grind

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by eric234, May 1, 2005.

1. eric234

eric234 Guest

Mar 11, 2005
    i'm looking to get a five string bass and the peavey grind looks pretty good but it's kind of expenive and i don't have alot of money so i don't want to buy anything bad.
  2. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    Play one first. I own a four string model of the Grind NTB, and it's great. Everything I could ask for. However, I have also played the five string model, and it wasn't so good. The B wasn't floppy or anything, but it wasn't coming through at all with the stock pickups.

The Grind is a "try before you buy" instrument. They can be an amazing find, or a waste of money. I suppose it's the same with any bass. I know I love my Grind NTB 4. Thinking about giving it new EMGs or something soon, to solidify it's place as my main instrument. It sounds great with the stock pickups, but some EMGs would really fatten it up I think.

3. I stuck some EMG DC's in mine and tuned it ADGC. It's a beautiful sounding bass, but I agree that the Fivers seem very dull for some reason.
  4. This has been talked about a lot. You should do a search for some of my posts concerning the Grind 5 NTB. You really should ;) The fact is there are several specific characteristics you should be looking out for and looking out to avoid when shopping these instruments. Vox is absolutely right, if the basses don't exhibit the proper physical traits - and you can be sure by looking them over - you can jsut about be positive they won't sound very good. Getting to see as many specimens as possible is the only way to get a great one.

I happen to have a great one. An NTB 5'er and one of the first in this part of the country. Mines got it all - so much in fact that it is the first and only 5 that ever talked to this dedicated 4 banger! :bassist:
  5. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Grinds tend to be inconsistent in build quality. Some are awesome, some are awful. Peavey's Fury line is much more consistent.

And many folks here say the MTD Kingston is an excellent 5; Many daresay the Kingston is the best inexpensive import bass out there.
  6. eric234

eric234 Guest

Mar 11, 2005
    ok cool i think i'm going to get the four string i tune m bass adgc and it sounds like a good deal