Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

peavey guitar amp for bass?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by garp7, Aug 5, 2003.

1. garp7

garp7

May 21, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    I was looking for a small travel / practice bass amp and went into a small music store that seemed to have a knowledgeable owner. Based on his advice I purchased the Peavey Blazer 158 amp... which, after some slight suspicion (it seemed a bit too cheap and too light) and research, checked out to be a guitar amp. When I talked to him about it, he told me that it was perfectly alright to use for a bass. Does he have a point, or is he completely BSing me? Can a guitar amp be used as a practice bass amp?

Any opinions are appreciated.

Much thanks,
    Jane

2. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    IMO, guitar amps can't cut it for bass. The instruments are two different beasts with completely different amplification requirements. So return that g****r amp and get a cool small bass amp like a Peavey Microbass or an SWR Workingman's 10.

3. I second the SWR WM 10; I used to have a 12 and it was an amazing little amp. Kind of expensive, but totally worth the money.

4. ojthesimpson

ojthesimpson

Jul 21, 2003
    Draper, UT
    you could ride your bike naked in a snow storm if you really wanted too. That doesn't mean it's a good idea. Get a pawn shop practice bass amp.

5. no, i plugged in a bass to that exact amp before and played around with the eq a bit... it sounds awful.

6. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    How does it sound? I've done pretty well in the past using a Peavey Backstage 35W guitar practise amp for bass. Even today, I sometimes use another small Peavey guitar amp at church - I'm keeping the volume reasonably low and, sitting on top of my old (Peavey - yikes!! again!!!) bass combo, is much nearer ear-level.

Of course, nowadays I have a Sansamp Bass Driver DI that I use to shape the tone but the fact remains that, at relatively low volumes, it works. That's with a six string bass, including notes below the E string...

If you're not trying to use it in loud situations and are working well within the volume parameters of the amp (ie. you're not turning the knobs all they way up), then I think you'll probably find it a little bit more comfortable than buck naked snowstorm cycling adventures ;)

It worked for me and may work for you. As to whether the owner was feeding you BS, it depends on what else is easily obtainable in your area and for what price.

Wulf

7. garp7

garp7

May 21, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Heh, you haven't tried riding your bike naked in a snow storm? It's great for your skin..

The amp sounds alright in low volumes (aka apartment practice volume) but it definitely doesn't sound anywhere near my (borrowed) big amp. Reason for purchasing this one was so I could lug it around on public transit when going over to a friend's for practice... and yes, it sounds as if I'm going to explode the amp if I turn it up high.

I'm trying to decide now whether I should keep it around as a voice amp (is that a luxury or do people actually do that?). The price seems reasonable ($172 Canadian inclusive), and I can actually carry it around without feeling like I'm working out my biceps.

Thanks for all your opinions - I wasn't able to find any other information about my questions.. seems that noone really seems to ask publicly if guitar amps can be used for bass ;)

j

8. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    One of the main reasons for me buying my Peavey Backstage amp was that I was at University and without either transport or a big budget. I found it worked well for a range of situations beyond practising (like Christian Union meetings, typically 50 - 100 people singing in a medium sized lecture hall).

What does your friend play? If it's guitar - and you can persuade him to keep his volume down - you should be fine... if it's drums, you'll almost certainly need a bigger amp (so eithe work those biceps or get a trolley).

Note that many guitar amps are very sweet when you want a piercing tone with a distorted edge but not for applications where you want a loud clear sound (that would be bass and probably vocals as well).

If it's not up to your needs, take it back before it gets all beaten up and damaged.

Wulf

9. garp7

garp7

May 21, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    My friend plays an electric guitar, so it could work - of course, it would be even better if she needed a practice amp ;)

I think what I will end up doing is play around with the amp today all day and then bring it back tomorrow if there is anything I am not satisfied with.

10. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    What kind of amp does your friend play through? If she's got a 100W Marshall stack maybe you should play bass through that (well below max volume to avoid any damage to speakers or eardrums) and she could use the practise amp.

Wulf