1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Peavey Guitar Combo Channel Switch conversion

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by alaskaleftybass, Jul 31, 2012.

1. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Hi guys, at the risk of getting tarred and feathered, I'm going to ask for advice on a guitar amp.:bag:
    I have a small Peavey guitar combo amp, and it doesn't have channel switching. There is a small square button that, when pushed in, is a boost/distortion function.

I'm doing some recording and I'm kind of an amateur guitar player of sorts, and I want to provide my own guitar to my bass tracks. I would like to convert the push button boost/distortion to a 1/4 female jack that would accept a one button footswitch to activate the boost. Is my simplistic mind imagining something that can't be done?

Thanks for listening and not shooting first lol..... :bassist:

2. LowEZ

LowEZ Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2011
    Central NJ
    It depends how the boost switch is wired. If it's just dropping a signal to ground, then yes, you can wire up a foot-switch. If there's more to it, and there probably is, while it may be possible you run the risk of introducing noise and capacitance from the foot-switch cable. First thing you should do is request a schematic for the amp from customerservice@peavey.com.

3. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska