Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey GV Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Harpo, Feb 19, 2001.

1. Harpo

Harpo

Feb 1, 2001
    Kings Park NY
    I played a Peavey GV Bass today and I Have to say I am impressed this is the 2 Peavey I have played and I must say it played nicer then all the fenders in S#$ As* I do not know
    if I would trade my L-2000 for it but I did like it what do you
    guys think I am thinking of getting a 2nd bass and I want a 5
    string with more modern . The l-2000 covers all my vintage tones

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    those peavey GV's give me the heebee jeebee's.

:D

well, not really, but it sounded funny.

3. I played a G-V once. It's by far the most responsive bass I've ever played. Sadly, it had a multicolor sparkle finish. I'm not plopping down $1400 for an instrument that belongs on a clown.

4. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

[​IMG]

John you nut :D I thought you were a cat person.
    Do you know what a good "dog" joke that is ?

(PBGV - Petit Basset Griffon Vendeen)

[​IMG]

5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    was that the model for the bass? they missed a few spots... :D

6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Have you tried an L-2500? I'm very happy with mine and if you like your L-2000 it's a no-brainer to check one out.

I've only played the four string G bass which I did find to be very, very nice. It compared VERY favorably to Zon and Modulus basses at much less money. I've owned Peavey axes in the past and have no issues with headstock paranoia.

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I must respectfully disagree with you, Brian.

I am a big fan of the Peavey Millenium Plus and the Cirrus, and I was excited when the G-V hit the market. I wanted to love the bass, and I have tried very hard.

It is a decent bass for the price, but not near the value that the Millenium, or especially the Cirrus is.

My Zon Sonus Custom has a 34" scale, and it blows away the 35" graphite necked G-V. I don't care for Modulus, bet their Bs blow the G-V out of the water too.

Heck, my 34" all wood one piece flatsawn maple necked Pedulla Rapture's B blows it away too!

If you want the stability of graphite at a lower price, the G's are an OK value, not great. A used Sonus 5 or Modulus Genesis V or Quantum can be had for $1200 - $1500, and would be a much better value IMHO.

8. TT

TT

Feb 14, 2001
    get a spector or stingray peavey sucks peroid :)

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Uh, no, TT, Peavey doesn't suck, at least not all Peaveys.

Have you ever played a Cirrus? Workmanship is right up there with Stingrays if not better, and while the bass does not have the Stingray sound it has a ton of different tones, whereas the Stinger has pretty much one tone, although it <font color=red>is</font> a great tone.

10. chance6245

chance6245

Sep 25, 2000
    The Peavey line is an excellent one. I like the G Bass line. I prefer the MIllennium as I like the feel of a wood neck. I can't see why you would pay more for a Modulus. I just don't understand the "Peavey sucks" attitude. They seem to keep raising the bar on quality while others are lowering the bar......my two cents.

CHANCE

11. TT

TT

Feb 14, 2001
    well I played a foundation 5 and the electronics were very poorly done and buzzed and what not. I agree with u tho the Peavey Millinium is an excellent bass and as well is the Cirrus. The workmanship is extremely great the sound of them is elaborate to. Sorry if I might of offended anyone it's just that this foundation 5 I've had been a pain in the but.

12. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I have a old Peavey Milestone II bass... I don't know what you could determine a basses quality by but the sound that you get from it and I love the sound from this instrument. It has quick action and no buzz problems.

My guitarist has a Peavey Solo 130 combo. The damn thing blows holes in the wall when he turns it up. He gets some mucho stylin' sounds from that.

Peavey is one of those brands that put out a few cheap products, got a rep for being a cheap brand, now are trying to sell high end stuff and no one believes them. hehe

Personally, I like the ones I have tried.