Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey Heads and Cabs (Recommendations)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jazzbo, Oct 6, 2000.

1. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Hello again my friendly bass playing...um...friends. (Okay, I ran out of somewhere to go with that one!)

I'm out doing some shopping for a good rig. I've checked out Ampeg, looked at Eden and SWR, and also Mesa Boogie. I'm currently playing with a Carvin Combo and have checked out some of there stuff as well. I went on vacation last week and took along my bass and my old Peavey practice amp that I haven't used for a long long time. (Not entirely true, it makes a great monitor to my makeshift PA system. Okay, c'mon guys, quit laughing. Okay, seriously, quit laughing now!:)) Anyway, I was playing and couldn't believe the tone! I hadn't played with it for awhile and was used to the sound of my Carvin and an Ampeg combo I borrow on gigs. I was blown away. It's a little 75watt combo that I got when I originally got my bass, and am deeply loving it!

Can anyone out their give opinions on some good Peavey heads and cabs. I'm looking for 400-600 watts (I won't complain about more), I want to stay below $1500, and I play an Ibanez 4-string, and Carvin LB75 fretless. My style is mostly soul, jazz, hip-hop, blues, R&B, and some pop cover tunes.

2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Peavey heads: My first choice would be a T-Max. You'll have to go used or find NOS 'cause it's discontinued. (I also own one, and it's my main gigging amp.) My second choice would be a FireBass II. (I've played the FireBass in stores and I want one! I don't need one, so I'll wait for one to show up on the used market.)

As for cabs... ...choose a speaker configuration that you like. IMO, Peavey cabs don't sound the best, but for the price, they sound pretty darn good.

For $1500, you could probably get a FireBass II and two TXF-410 cabs. (I haven't haggled with a salesman lately, but I know my estimate is pretty close.)

3. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I tried out a Peavey Classic 400 and that amp was a monster through two peavey TX410's and it sounded really nice. I have a old all tube Peavey Alpha head and I just retubed it and it sounds great but they dont make them like that anymore. Good Luck!

4. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    I'm pretty happy with my 210TXF and 115BX BW cabs, and they work well with the T-Max (which I also have). You sould be able to do all of that for around or under $1,500.

5. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    I'll vote for the T-max, too. I love mine.

Chris A.:rolleyes:

6. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    So it sounds like the T-max might be the best. It's amazing that I could get a 410 and a 115 cab, along with the head, for $1500! Other manufacturers like Ampeg or Eden are so much more expensive.

It seems that the heads come more quickly recommended than the cabs. Should I go with a different cab?

7. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    No way Jazzbo Peavey cabs are great sounding and very durable for the money and personall I have never blown up a PV blk widow 15 or 10 and I have owned both I'm mainly a Ampeg guy now but I always keep my secondary rig around wich is a PV Alpha tube head and a old PV 2 15 cab and it still sounds great. Go for the PV cabs and good luck on your new purchase I hope you find a deal.

8. Craig H

Craig H

Mar 23, 2000
    Kansas City
    I have a Firebass head (white face) that I use with a 210-TXF and 115 BXBW. Sounds great.

Craig

9. Jazzbo-
    I've got to agree with most on this one- if you can find a Tmax, by all means, get one! I'm currently using a Tmax as a preamp and using a CS800s (1200 watts) as the power source to run a 410 and a 412 cabinet (both Peavey)- soon to be running two 412 cabs. (I've got an extremely loud guitar player and drummer). The Tmax has been the most reliable head I've ever owned, and yes, I've spent tons of money on other brands and keep coming back to Peavey.
    I am planning on purchasing a Max preamp to take the Tmax' place in my rack in an effort to save a little weight.
    My second choice is the Firebass. I'd run a 410 and a 115 cab with this head. A friend of mine is running a Firebase with Peavey's 810 cab and his sound is fantastic. I know he got of the shop for under $1500 as well. Good luck!

10. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Just joining the chorus...

...I've been gigging for years using a T-Max head and either a combo of one or two Peavey 410tx cabs, or two Peavey 210txf cabs. Right now my main gig rig is the T-Max and the 210txf's. I've had the head for ever it seems - I know I bought it when it first came out, whenever that was - and it's NEVER given me any trouble. We're talking at least 5 years of steady hard gigging, without a sniffle or a cough.

It also sounds great, when I bought it I was living in Orlando, FL, and tried it out against Eden and SWR gear (hey Beaver thanks for letting me make all that noise! :D). I won't try to tell anyone that the Peavey was BETTER than the Eden, but it was so close as to be negligible, and honestly I prefered the sound of the Peavey 410tx's to the sound of the SWR Goliath II, and it was damn near the equal of the Eden D410XLT cab. One big difference - I got the T-Max head and two 410tx cabs for $1300. I couldn't get either of the Eden or SWR heads and one cab for anywhere near that, it would have cost twice the bread to get the same rig from them, and neither was even close to being twice the rig. Is there a difference tonally, probably, but is it really noticeable in a gig situation? IMO, no, no way. I've never gotten anything but astonished compliments on my tone at gigs, "You're getting that sound out of Peavey?!?!?" Yup! :D

Damn shame they discontinued the T-Max head, although you can still get the Max pre-amp, and that combined with the DPC 1400 is probably a pretty damn good choice as well (and most likely considerably lighter than the T-Max head! ;) ). There was a NOS one here in Baton Rouge a while back, but I hooked up a good friend of mine in Branson, MO with it so it's gone now. I have seen them used on Harmony Central, so nose around and you may find one in decent shape for a fair price. They're almost bullet-proof in my experience, so unless someones almost deliberately mis-used it, it's probably gonna be a good amp.

All that said, and I'm about to try out a Fender Bassman 400 soon, as the bandleader I work for is a Fender dealer and I can get a killer deal on one. Just would make load-in/load-out time so much easier to have a good combo amp. I'll definetly hold onto my Peavey rig even if I do go for the Bassman, though.

11. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Ignorance is bliss!

I think I'm more confused now than ever. I've been looking for a good head and cab for a couple of months, and have learned so much that now I'm confused. Everyone has personal experiences and recommendations, but it's hard to find a consensus. I've recently come across an ad for an Ampeg SVT3-Pro with an 810 cab, for $1200. I just read a post that said that the Ampeg 3Pro has some problems cutting through during gigs and that the wattage is a little lower than advertised. So...

Is there a good answer? I understand personal preference and all that, but when spending that kind of money, everybody wants a good deal.

12. Davo737

Davo737

Feb 29, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    Jazzbo,

I used to play an SVTIII-Pro, and I feel that the rap on it is certainly deserved. The 450 watt rating is definately overrated. At times, it is a bit difficult to cut through the drums and guitar, especially if you play in a band where bass is out front.

Regards,
    Davo

13. Craig H

Craig H

Mar 23, 2000
    Kansas City
    Ditto.

I had an SVT3-Pro that just didn't work for me. I replaced tubes and changed brands more than a few times, hoping that it would "come alive". It didn't. I suppose I was looking for clarity and the ability to cut through and I was looking in the wrong place. It was disappointing because I really wanted to like it.

Craig

14. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Allow me to join the fray, I own many Peavey items and love them. My main rig consists of two 118 and i get awsome tone and incredible bottom. My mainstay for many years was a 215 cab (that i am tryin to sell cuz i have too much "stuff") The T Max would be the way to go for power with what you are tryin to put together.

15. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    jazzbo,

If you have a budget of over a grand you need to try EVERYTHING you can find. No reason to buy the wrong thing at that price level!

In my experience the speakers are the most important thing, so try out cabs and use YOUR bass and YOUR amp head when you do. Once you find the speaker that floats your boat, then try matching up heads to it.

Don't overlook buying used to stretch your budget. You can save as much as 50% off new prices which can get you into some insanely serious gear.

16. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel

If you already mentioned Peavey.... how does the Sessionbass head compares in sound quality to the GK400 and Trace AH150?
    is it worth the money?

17. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Air Leech -

I cannot recommend the SessionBass Head as highly as the T-Max has been here. It's terribly underpowered, and I never could get a good tone out of it. I'd nose about for a used or NOS T-Max, and spend a few more bucks to be a LOT more happy tonally.

18. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Thanks everyone! As I'm sure everyone understands, it's quite a monumental decision to get a whole new rig. I was just so impressed with the tone on my "forgotten" Peavey combo that I really think they deserve a fair shot. Personally, I could not care less about having one certain name brand over another. For one thing, I'm not out playing music to impress other musicians with the name on my amp, guitar, or anything else. What I am worried about, is power, tone, durability, and longevity. I've got my work cut out for me. So far I've tried some Ampeg, Eden, MesaBoogie, and Trace Elliot. I'm going to hunt down some Peavey rigs this week, and I've also considered the Carvin RL1015. As you can see, I'm terribly undecisive.

19. Check out peavey pre amps own two. They have a lot of outputs to drive things like tuners, power amps, and the Pa system. you can change power amps for large and small gigs without changing your whole rig. There are many power amps available now and a lot that will drive a 4 ohm load when bridged. I have used a Peavey Probass 1000 for many years it is quiet and has massive headroom and very reliable. I use a small QSC power amp that can produce 200 watts per channel with no fan its dead quiet also. This is a small rig to play jazz with but it could be made larger with just anotjer power amp. This is another possibility you can check out.

20. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Hey guys,

Muchos gracias para la informacion!! Thanks guys, everyone has been really helpful!

Well, I have made my decision. I tried some amps today and after playing literally dozens of different combinations in the last two months, have finally found something that I really like, and seems to have that tone I'm looking for.

I tried the Peavey Sessionbass and did not care for it. I agree, I think it was terribly underpowered. I tried the Firebass 700 and was blown away! I love it!!! They had a used Eden 410 for $695 (if anyone is in SF and is interested I'll tell you where it's at!) and also tried it with the Peavey 210TXF and 115TXR and was very impressed. I also tried with the 410TXF and actually preferred it over the Eden. Can you believe it?

So, I've worked out a deal for the Firebass 700 and 410TXF. I'm going to get it on Monday. I haven't yet decided if I also want to get the 115TXR yet. If I get all 3, I'll be out the door at $1200 on the dot!