Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey heads?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by S. Byrnes, Sep 26, 2004.

1. I haven't played through any Peavey heads yet but what is the general thought on them? I heard the cabs arent too great but the Peavey 700 Max head is attractive. 475w @ 4ohms, 700w @ 2ohms, simple design, $570. I think I'm going to make my own cab, maybe two twelves or four tens, I haven't decided yet. Any info on the head would be cool, or better heads for the price. Thanks

2. The Max 700 (and what it replaced, the Firebass 700) are both EXCELLENT heads that have great tone, and are very loud and powerful. They can take a tremendous beating and are cheap. The 410TVX is an excellent cab, also.

3. +1 Heavy stuff but durable

4. my only gripe is the size and weight. even though i work for peavey, i ended up having the money and the opportunity to go a slightly different route -- i have a crest power amp (crest is a subsidiary of peavey) and a warwick quadruplet preamp. i'm using a bergantino HT-112 cabinet. again, the weight issue forced me to look elsewhere.

but i love the tone of the max 700. very big sounding.

robb.

5. dgovaerts

dgovaerts

Dec 22, 2004
    If it is sounding like the peavey T-max or the peavey max preamp it will sound great!

6. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    I went to a local music store and played through a peavey max 450 bass head with a tvx 410 and a tvx 115. Very tight punchy sound, i played a ESP b-50. I liked the tone i was getting out of the set up ALOT. I got a little careless and turned the prer gain up to 4 and the master volume half way between 4 and 5. One of the guys working there politely said for me to turn down.

The store is quite big too so the sound carries real well.

7. I have a peavey mark 8 head (350w @ 4ohms or 600 @ 2) and it sounds perfect for me, I run it with a homemade 610 cab, so pretty darn close situation, mine sounds awesome.

8. Yossarian

Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    Virginia
    I have the Max 700 head and 410TVX cab. Both are fantastic. The weight is key though, those things are ridiculous. If my memory serves me, it's 52 lbs for the head and 99 lbs for the cab. As for tone and volume, however: Grade A.

And you can get those Firebass heads crazy cheap on Ebay.