Peavey heads

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by NedtheRed, Nov 3, 2002.

1. NedtheRed

NedtheRed

Jun 20, 2002
    Jersey....eew
    Hey, im looking for a cheap bass head and i think a Peavey Mark IV is the way to go. I was wondering if anybody had any different suggestions, or comments about Peavey heads, since ive never played one, but they are quite cheap on ebay.

How much power would i need for small gigs, playing in a power trio? (ive always used someone elses' amp)

FYI, i play through a 10x15

2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
  3. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Imo Peavey stuff is a decent value for the $. With that being said, Ive got a Mark 6 head I use with a 1x15" cab, and Im not thrilled with the sound Im getting, but for what I paid, Im doing pretty good.

4. NedtheRed

NedtheRed

Jun 20, 2002
    Jersey....eew
  5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I used to own a Peavey Mark VI. Not the greatest tone in the world, but it sounded pretty good, all in all. Seemed to have plenty of power for what I was using it for, I ran it through an 810TX for awhile, before I got my Firebass II. Built like a tank--I never had one lick of problems with mine, and I didn't exactly baby it. Got dropped onto a concrete floor once from the top of the 810 cab (don't ask), worked like a charm afterwards. In fact, it is still being used today by the guy that bought it from me. The Firebass II is also still in use as well. I would recommend one of them, as they have more power and have a little better tone than the "Mark" series heads did, IMO.

6. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    if youre playing through 10 15's you're probably gonna want a really powerfull head....

sorry, someone had to say something

7. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I caught that one, too, but figured I would leave it to someone else.:D

8. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Whats the RMS on the t-max?

9. great head...it's my main amp

10. Slater

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    The output of the T-Max is 350 watts into 4 ohms, 500 watts into a 2 ohm load.

FWIW, I've run my T-Max into 2 ohms all night long several times with no problems what-so-ever :) .

11. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    I concur with Slater -- T-Max is a great amp. Plenty of power and lots of booty.

I also run mine at 2 ohms with no problems.

12. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    There have been a few KiloBass heads for sale recently. Basically the same head as the T-Max but with more power along with less weight. The KiloBass is 500 watts x 2 @ 4 ohms, 1000 watts bridged at 8 ohms and weighs 15 pounds. My Kilo is now my backup amp but I have a MAX/power amp setup as my main squeeze. ;)

13. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Sorry about this, maybe i should ask elsewere, but you guys know how much thoe t-maxs run used? my amp has just recently died. no sound coming out, or very little and it's distorted, sure i could figure out whats wrong with it,,, but i need a new one anyway.

14. Slater

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    The one in the eBay auction that I posted a link to in the reply above went for $280...

15. I own the old Mark IV heads and I like 'em. I would recommend one of the newer models (T-max, Kilo, Fiebass, etc....).

Good luck!