Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey heads

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by NedtheRed, Nov 3, 2002.

1. NedtheRed

NedtheRed

Jun 20, 2002
    Jersey....eew
    Hey, im looking for a cheap bass head and i think a Peavey Mark IV is the way to go. I was wondering if anybody had any different suggestions, or comments about Peavey heads, since ive never played one, but they are quite cheap on ebay.

How much power would i need for small gigs, playing in a power trio? (ive always used someone elses' amp)

FYI, i play through a 10x15

2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
  3. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Imo Peavey stuff is a decent value for the $. With that being said, Ive got a Mark 6 head I use with a 1x15" cab, and Im not thrilled with the sound Im getting, but for what I paid, Im doing pretty good.

4. NedtheRed

NedtheRed

Jun 20, 2002
    Jersey....eew
  5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I used to own a Peavey Mark VI. Not the greatest tone in the world, but it sounded pretty good, all in all. Seemed to have plenty of power for what I was using it for, I ran it through an 810TX for awhile, before I got my Firebass II. Built like a tank--I never had one lick of problems with mine, and I didn't exactly baby it. Got dropped onto a concrete floor once from the top of the 810 cab (don't ask), worked like a charm afterwards. In fact, it is still being used today by the guy that bought it from me. The Firebass II is also still in use as well. I would recommend one of them, as they have more power and have a little better tone than the "Mark" series heads did, IMO.

6. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    if youre playing through 10 15's you're probably gonna want a really powerfull head....

sorry, someone had to say something

7. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I caught that one, too, but figured I would leave it to someone else.:D

8. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Whats the RMS on the t-max?

9. great head...it's my main amp

10. Slater

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    The output of the T-Max is 350 watts into 4 ohms, 500 watts into a 2 ohm load.

FWIW, I've run my T-Max into 2 ohms all night long several times with no problems what-so-ever :) .

11. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    I concur with Slater -- T-Max is a great amp. Plenty of power and lots of booty.

I also run mine at 2 ohms with no problems.

12. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    There have been a few KiloBass heads for sale recently. Basically the same head as the T-Max but with more power along with less weight. The KiloBass is 500 watts x 2 @ 4 ohms, 1000 watts bridged at 8 ohms and weighs 15 pounds. My Kilo is now my backup amp but I have a MAX/power amp setup as my main squeeze. ;)

13. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Sorry about this, maybe i should ask elsewere, but you guys know how much thoe t-maxs run used? my amp has just recently died. no sound coming out, or very little and it's distorted, sure i could figure out whats wrong with it,,, but i need a new one anyway.

14. Slater

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    The one in the eBay auction that I posted a link to in the reply above went for $280...

15. I own the old Mark IV heads and I like 'em. I would recommend one of the newer models (T-max, Kilo, Fiebass, etc....).

Good luck!