Peavey !! I need help choosing the right power amp for a Max Pre-amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sociald, Nov 6, 2003.

1. sociald

sociald Guest

Nov 5, 2003
    Ive been a Peavey fan for a few years now and Im trying to buy the best Peavey Power amp to supplement a Peavey Max Pre amp that sports a Tube and Solid State setup... The three Main contenders are the CS® 800S which is moderately priced with the right type of Features im looking for and runs at $669, in Second is The DPC® 1400X Digital Power Amp which has been around awhile and its features greatly advanced from its original production series that sells for $1,119. Third is the less talked about for powering a bass pre-amp the GPS® 1500 which looks really sleek with its newly modified front panel for $739. All are fairly the same size ranging from single space to double space rack size, and the wattage ranges are very similar. I really dont have much experience with any of these components. The reason im looking for a preamp and a power amp is so i can get a tube sound for my bass, and peavey doesnt have much in the way of tubes in their new line up..
    please please if anyone can help me through this step of makin the right choice your opinion and judgement is greatly appreciated.
    thank you for your time
  2. This is an easy choice my friend! Go with the DPC1400X. You WILL NOT be disappointed.

Here's mine-

The whole rack weighs in just under 40lbs! For 1400 watts of juice that pretty flippin cool.

DO IT!!!
  3. uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    If you can afford it, go for the DPC1400x... at a single rack space & 14lbs, your rack and your back will thank you later!

I'm not all that familiar with the CS800s, but at least it's not all that heavy at 23lbs

The GPS1500 looks classy, but weighing in at over 39lbs, I don't know. Consider a typical 4 space rack weighs at least 14lbs and the Peavey Max adds another 9lbs... your rack would weigh in at over 62lbs! About twice the weight of the DPC1400x / Max / 2 space rack combination of only about 34lbs.

4. What exactly is Digital about the DPC1400 and how does it differ to other poweramps?
  5. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I've heard the CS800s are built like tanks and easy and cheap to fix when something does go wrong with 'em, but if I were you, I'd be looking at the DPC1400. Have you looked for any of these amps on eBay yet?
  6. uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey