Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey Introduces New "Zodiac" Bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by deathbloomslife, Jan 21, 2006.

1. http://www.peavey.com/news/article.cfm/action/view/id/179/20061701.cfm

She looks like one heck of a beauty! Definately aiming this one at the Fender crowd, IMO. I'm going to have to try this one out whenever I can find one, being I'm a Scorpio and all.... lol.

-ryan-

2. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    So they're finally shipping it? I'd like to try one.

3. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Scorpio shmorpio.

Let's see the Aries bass!!

:D

Joe.

4. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    No pictures? You can hardly tell what it looks like from that photo on the right. :(

5. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
  6. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    [​IMG]

I have to say I'm not a fan of the largish pickguard or the angled control plate, but it's about time Junior got a signature model.

7. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    I personally don´t like the way it looks.

8. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Doesn't really do it for me in the looks department, either, but hopefully it'll appeal to some people.

9. abngourmet

abngourmet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2004
    USA
    Interesting. The guy endorsing this stated:

"I wanted to create a bass that incorporates the best sound qualities of a traditional instrument but also has cutting-edge features designed for modern players," says Ellefson. "My technique and playing style have always demanded more from a bass guitar to really capture the power and depth of my music. The Zodiac DE brings those elements together in one powerhouse instrument."

It has two volume, one tone (Fender Jazz, Gibson Thunderbird, among others), 1.5" nut width (Fender Jazz), P and J Pickups (take your pick of any number of basses), chrome tuning pegs, Switchcraft jack, etc., etc. Hardly cutting edge as he claims.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking it. It just seems to me to be a bunch of hype. Of course, they in the business of selling instruments, so I'm not surprised that this quote made it into the literature, so to speak.

Ultimately people will play it and either like it or not. To each his own and all that. I just thought Mr. Ellefson's comments were a bit contradictory since most of the features included on his instrument are well established, traditional ones (P-J config, chrome tuners, etc.).

10. Theonestarchild

Theonestarchild Artfully lost

Aug 23, 2005
    North Carolina
    You'd think they'd clean the tuners for a press photo. :oops: I like the looks of my bass better, that ugly fretboard, and that funky headstock aren't me. But that telocaster control setup... I'm feeling it.

11. Basses of the last 50some years that have been fine for some of the greatest musicians in history just didnt cut it for the 'depth of his music'

:meh:

12. FeelTheGroove

FeelTheGroove

Dec 2, 2005
    Sound pretty good, but chome pickguard, no thanks. I hope they offer some other color options.

13. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I like it. I'll have to try one. I imagine the quality should be higher than Fender. Are they made offshore or in the USA?

14. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    From the price looks like its an import, which makes me turn away.

15. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    There will be an import and a domestic model. From what I read, the domestic model will cost less than a Fender Jazz. And USA Peavey stuff is top notch, so it's nothing to scoff at.

16. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!

+1!!!!!

17. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I wonder if this Ellefson model has supplanted the Zodiac as originally announced (link posted by Pennydreadful), which I don't think ever hit the stores. At least I've never seen one offered for sale anywhere, including the web. (It might have been delayed by hurricane Katrina; I know Peavey's site was down for a while.) I wonder whether the marketing folks at Peavey and Fender see the same trends, because this Ellefson Peavey is amazingy similar to Fender's Frank Bello model.

I like P/J basses, and want one (or something close), so I'm interested in both. Looking at the photos and specs, and indulging in some speculation, here's how they compare to me.

Body. The Fender has an all black Jazz body with binding, which is pretty cool. The Peavey has a semi-original shape with unusual pickguard, and gets kudos for not being another Fender clone. But I'm not digging the mirror pickguard, and I like the Bello's binding, so I'll go Fender.

Electronics. Both have Duncan Quarter Pounder P's, but Fender's J pickup is noiseless. The Peavey has a tone control, and the Fender doesn't. To me, the noiseless J wins over the Peavey's tone control, because it's a lot cheaper to add the tone pot to the Fender than a noiseless J to the Peavey, and you can just use the treble control on your amp anyway. And I don't like single coil hum.

Neck. Fender has a P neck with 20 frets and 9.5 inch radius fretboard; Peavey has J neck with 21 frets and 8.0 inch radius. I'll take the J neck and extra fret any day, so advantage Peavey. (This is speculative because I haven't tried either, but even the cheapo Peavey P-bass copies have decent feeling necks so I bet this one is great.)

Hardware. Fender has that new Badass III bridge with through body option, which wins for me.

Construction. I haven't played either, so who knows? MIM Fenders, especially the more expensive ones, have been getting very good lately. Peavey's industrial grade construction is legendary. I'll call it a draw.

So, Fender wins three of my hastily compiled categories, but Peavey wins in the very important neck department. I tend to prefer Fenders (I have P, J, and two Strats), but I started on Peavey basses and thus have a real soft spot for them. It's a close call, but I suspect I'd prefer the Fender, mostly for the clean look and noiseless J.

18. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    If it sounds great then it doesn't matter how it looks, but, man, it is ugly!:eek: