1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Peavey IPR rattling

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CrewsControl, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Any IPR owners want to share some tips on how to tame the rattle and clatter of this amp when it's sitting near a cab turned up past a modest volume? Should I just open it up and start applying foam tape between every post, stanchion or joint? I've also placed some non-sticky foam between the preamp and the IPR, which helped, but there is still some rattle coming from inside the amp.

This thing was clearly not designed to sit next to or on top of a bass cabinet in a rack case. :meh: But that's ok, this problem is solvable, I think.

2. Ha! It would probably help a lot if I searched for the correct model IPR not IRP. :meh:

Thanks.

3. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Is this the amp they taped cardboard on the inside to help with airflow?

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    No cardboard in mine.

That thread has some great advice. ;)

5. No, this is the amp with the interior that looks as empty as a zeppelin hangar redecorated for ballroom dancing. I could fit two more amps in there before there's an airflow problem.

6. LowEZ

LowEZ Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2011
    Central NJ
    That's the one! :)

7. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Precisely.

8. I discovered the cardboard when I opened the case. It was flapping in the breeze. :rolleyes: I secured it so it wouldn't flop around. I also shoved some foam blocks under the circuit board to prevent it from vibrating, and applied electrical tape to all metal-to-metal joints before re-assembling the case. I also taped some thin foam strips to the bottom, so it doesn't contact the top of the unit below it. It's rattle-free now.

9. majortoby

majortoby

Jul 2, 2009
    Tampa, Fl USA
    I'll have to keep this thread in mind for when I eventually score one of these. I wait three years, THEN adopt a new product :D