Peavey Mark III 800 watts?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bigchad64, Jan 31, 2006.

1. I've searched through the forums and on harmony-central and I've seen different people say different things about the Mark III head. It seems to me that it runs 300 watts at 2ohms, but the guy who's selling one in my area claims 800 watts. I've also see others claim 800 watts. Watt gives? (shameless play on words)
  2. Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ

800 watts out of your wall socket. 300 into 2 ohms of max musical content to your speakers. the guy could claim 800 watts all he wants. I like the ole peaveys plenty, but its not pumpin 800.

it probably says 800 on teh back next to the power cord (800 watts 15 amps or some such).
  3. ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    HAHA; yeah i fell for that trap. i bought a 'Bass Combo' that was rated 400W on the back. So i assumed it was 400W RMS.

It turns out that the combo drew 400W from the mains power; and was only rated as 130W.:rollno:

Still very loud though...
  4. Herman

Dec 25, 2005
    Lynchburg, VA
    The Mark III owner's manual says it's only rated for 150W into 4 ohms; 500W AC power consumption.
  5. I do know that there have been a couple of different models through the years of differing power outputs.
  6. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    I had a Mark III for awhile - 300 watts into 2 ohms sounds more like it - 800??? - no way... It DID sound pretty good, and never gave me a bit of trouble, though - and had pretty good volume...

- georgestrings
  7. i happen to have a Peavey 400BH, Mark III series amp, in my garage. it's my buddie's. on the back it says' 210watts @4ohm
    300watts@2ohms. hope that helps. :cool:

i used to play through one just like it. with a Peavey 1810 cab (1x18" + 2x10")
    it was my main rig for about 5 years. it did just fine.
  8. nls666

Jul 31, 2005
    The Netherlands
    There seem to be more Peavey Mark III versions:
    -Mark III Series Centurion > 130 watt @ 4 ohm
    -Mark III Series Bass > 210 watt @ 4 ohm / 300 watt @ 2 ohm (this is the 400BH)
    -Mark III Series Bass Amp Head > 150 watt @ 4 ohm

The first two are from 1978, the third is more recent...

Check also, manual section, search "mark III:

no 800 watt, but the 130/210/300 watts from the first two are very loud watts! (I've no experience with the third one)
  9. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    I have a Mark III XP series that does 150 @ 4 ohms.

Hope that helps....
  10. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    the mark III and mark IV as well as several other models from that era that used the same "big external heat sink/cord wrap" power section said 800 watts on the back, but that meant it drew 800 from the wall. the power rating to the cabs was 210 into 4 ohms, and 300 into 2 ohms. No official rating into 8 ohms, but pv told me it was probably about 150 watts RMS
  11. Herman

Dec 25, 2005
    Lynchburg, VA
    Yeah, but as some other posters pointed out, the output power rating is dependent on which "version" of the Mark III you've got. The Mark III (base version?) was only rated for 150W into 4 ohms; not rated for 2 ohms at all. Whereas, other versions were rated, as you say, for 300W into 2 ohms.
  12. i bought the rig today, perfect condition. the head is the mark III 400bh. rms 300w @ 2ohms. i look forward to messing with the amp, but just playing through it while trying it out it had a great sound. thanks for the input!
  13. Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    congrats. good solid no frills amp with an honest power rating.

i had one of those century amps too... 100 at 8 ohm. 15 bucks used!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. YOu are spot on there. I have one of these old dogs and I still use it as an extention amp from time to time. It is 300 watts of transistor power. Good tone controls too.
  15. The original "Bass" Mark IIIs (400 BH chassis) are from the late '70s/early '80s, with the Mark IV coming out right after to replace it (maybe '84). Very similar except for switches and different "Automix" input schemes (I own a Mark IV). They also had the Mark III Centurions, which were 130 wrms @ 4 ohms, with two channels and rotary EQ.

I also owned an early '90s Mark III that indeed was a simpler 150 wrms @ 4 ohms model. The face of the amp was all graphic EQ sliders, except for the pre and post gain controls. The Mark III, VI, and VIII of the early '90s morphed into the Mark XP series, which had the teal (greenish blue) cosmetics (common on all the Peaveys of that generation -- I've got a MicroBass amp with that look), and slightly altered features, although the output ratings stayed the same. These hung around until the late '90s when they were replaced by the Firebass, Nitrobass, and Deltabass, which morphed into the current Max series models.

You see? It pays to be older...
  16. I'll post pics tonight. The funny thing about it is the guy I bought the rig from has only owned it for about 4 years. He bought it "new" from a local music shop that claimed it was only a couple of years old. When he told me that I tactfully informed him that this Mark III was probably from the early 80's, but that was ok because it is a great amp. He argued with me, which was weird because I was handing him money.

The controls on this amp are easy. It has a pleasant growl which is easily controled by the crossover knob. I have a T-40 that I'm trying to find a bridge pickup for, that once together will sound great through this rig.

Very happy:)
  17. Pics as promised.

Attached Files:

18. And more

Attached Files:

19. Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    that pic gave me a FLASHBACK!!!!!!!!!! thats a nice solid rock rig. clean too
  20. macahan

Mar 22, 2005
    Karlstad, Sweden
    i used to own one of those..