1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Peavey Mark III or IV

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thebert, Apr 26, 2006.

1. thebert

thebert

Mar 27, 2006
    Anyone play either of these? Thoughts and comments? They seem to be going for real cheap on ebay. I read a lot of good reviews on harmony central and I'm thinking about getting one.

2. Michael Vee

Michael Vee Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I had a Mark IV back in the early 80's.

The guy I sold it to used his for many years. I don't remember him ever having any problems with it.

They are solid, unremarkable, SS heads. Big, bulky and heavy for the amount of power they have- what is it, 210 watts at 8 ohms, 300 at 4? Yeah, that's it.

I did like the range of sounds I could get out of the tone controls plus the graphic eq.

I might consider buying one for $100-$150 if it still worked okay. Chances are it'd have to have a very thorough pot and jack cleaning, like any older amp.

Or you could spend a bit more money and get a modern head with a lot more power.

There's a certain nostalgic vibe to the old 80's Peavey gear- even their current issues of "The Monitor" feature the old stuff. T-40's, Mark bass amps, etc.

3. I had a Mark VIII that was FANTASTIC, ran 600w at 2ohms. Was very big and heavy.

4. rok51

rok51 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    I used a Mark III in the early 80s. It was a good, solid amp. It's more recent descendant (actually descended from the Mark VIII), the Firebass, is available for nearly the same price as a used Mark III or Mark IV(picked one up in very good shape at GC for a friend for $199 a few months ago.) and is much improved both tonewise (IMHO) and features as well as being a significantly more powerful amp. The Firebass and the Max 750 are the same amp with different graphics.

Kim