Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey Mark IV Bass Head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by franky694, Jan 4, 2006.

1. franky694

franky694

Dec 19, 2005
    SCROLL DOWN TO 6th POST!

Hey,

I just have a couple questions about this amp. I looked at harmony central for reviews and found some that were really good.

My drummers dad has this amp and a peavey cabinet 2x18...or 215..but im pretty sure those things were 2x18s because those speakers were enormous! Other than that, thats about all i know about the amp just from looking at it. From reading about it, I know it is 200 watts at 4 ohms and 300 watts at 2 ohms.

Do you guys think it will be a good set up for a bassist who has never gigged before? i mean..because We usually go to a studio to practice, they let us use a crate 220 head and crate 215 or 212(not sure about the cab) and he is satisfied with that set up.
    So do you think the peavey set up will be better than the crate set up?

Also, I see that this amp can push 300 watts at 2 ohms. Is it safe to run it at 2 ohms? Assuming the 2x18 are 4 ohms..can i add 4x10 that are rated at 4 ohms to get the whole thing running at 300 watts at 2 ohms??
    Sorry..but im still trying to comprehend the whole ohms thing.

Also, what do you think is a reasonable price for the Amp and cab? I still havnt asked how much we would sell it for.

Thanks in advance guys...

2. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    ah, the mark 4. those things are bomb and bullet proof. there is anecdotal evidence that Osama was hiding unerneath several of them during the daisy cutter days of the war... we havnt caught him yet. that tells you something about their rugged construction.

seriously though, they are versitile in that you have several eq/loop/channel options. you can run it as a LOW only cab with the xover/poweramp feature.

it'll run for days on high vol into 2 ohms. mine did. We used it as a PA too, i dont know if that s harder on it or not, but it ran into 4 and 2 ohms all the time.

Several TB-ers had PV 2x15's. i had 3. 1 with generic PV speakers, 1 with black widows, and 1 with i think celestians. in the late 80's i paid 150 used each for the non BW cabs. the BW cab was a lot more at the time (new). while i didnt like the size, it was good for a classic rock sound. full, big. IMO/ IME it isnt high end, but it is IMO the epitome of inexpensive, reasonable workhorse.

a slew of practice studios in teh NJ area in the 80's used the PV Mk4 with the 2x15 and also the 1820 cabs. in the metal days back then, you KNOW they took a beating. Lots of places had em for a reason.

i see mk 4 heads for 150 and less now and again. shipping will run you in the neighborhood of $11,000 due to the size/weight.

I am not saying that its the ideal rig, but i woudl take it over a brand new low end setup any day of the week. I think everyone should have the PV mk4 2x15 rig in their repetoir at SOME point. its a right of passage.

go for it.

3. Greg Jones

Greg Jones

Dec 1, 2005
    Thornton, CO
    My first 'REAL' amp was that Mark IV head and the 1810 cabintet (2 10's and 1 18). I gigged the hell out of that thing during my stint in the Air Force. It never failed me. I was just wondering if I might ought to pick up another one as I am ampless at the moment.

Look on the back of the album(vinyl) cover for Iron Maiden's first major release, or maybe it was Killers. Yep. Harris had one of these!!

4. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    This is a great starter rig. One tip for you, though. You might want to start sucking up to your drummer. Little things like helping him carry in his "kit" before the gig and afterwards during tear down. Buy him a free lunch or a beer from time to time. It also helps to compliment him regularly on what a solid and hard drivin' drummer he is. If he sings too, then tell him what an incredible voice he has. They like hearing things such as, "You should be singing lead on more songs." Why bother? Because at three in the morning you will be looking around for someone to help haul your 2x15 cabinet. And don't bother with guitar players. They won't help you out of fear that "I might hurt my hands." Good Luck.

5. franky694

franky694

Dec 19, 2005
    LMAO...im actually the guitarist..and your right..i wont help my bassist carry his stuff..he screwed!

well anyways..i talked to my drummers father...he said he didnt want to sell his bass amp/cab :crying:

Well..im not SOL yet...i was browsing ebay for similiar models..I found a couple...but...i just dont wanna pay the shipping charges and so on...well.. out of all the little cities in the united states...and the 5 listings that i found for peavey mark x(3,4),
    one just happen to be in my city..the craziest coincidence ever..
    so..i talked to the guy selling it and he said i could pick up.

Hes selling a Peavey Mark III(1978). He claims it works fine and should be good to go. I was reading the specs on it. does 210 watts at 4 ohms and 300 at 2 ohms. I would most likely be running it at 2 ohms with a 2x15 cab and 210or410.

I was wondering if that model will be just as good as you guys made the other model seem?

6. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    I played through a Mark III for a couple of years, and it was a good head - decent sound and power, and never any trouble with it... I also played through a Mark VI and am currently using a Mark VIII, which I like alot...

" I would most likely be running it at 2 ohms with a 2x15 cab and 210or410."

The 2x15 will probably be 4 ohms, so you'll want the second cab to also be 4 ohms - for a 2 ohm overall load, or 8 ohms for a 2.67 ohm overall load - either setup will work well with that amp... Sounds to me like that'd be an excellent starter rig, that'll take care of business for as long as you need it to...

- georgestrings

7. franky694

franky694

Dec 19, 2005

thanks!... :hyper:

8. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    You're welcome - BTW, if memory serves correctly, I only paid $100 for my Mark III head - and got that back out of it in trade-in when I turned it over...

- georgestrings

9. franky694

franky694

Dec 19, 2005
    would 150 be too much?

10. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

IMO, it is(any warrantee???) - after all, I only paid $200 for my Mark VIII, and it was made in '04, and is 600 watts into 2 ohms - although I don't really know what used gear is going for in your area...

- georgestrings

11. franky694

franky694

Dec 19, 2005
    no warranty(its off ebay).
    I might buy a used peavey mark VIII from dcr whos selling it on these boards...

its either i pay 230 shipped for the mark VIII
    or
    pay 150 for a mark III but i pick it up...

i just hate waiting :meh: ...

12. franky694

franky694

Dec 19, 2005

LOL
    well..ima try getting it off the guy for 100 bux..if not..i will just gradually increase the offer..150 is max tho..

thanks for your replies

13. Herman

Herman

Dec 25, 2005
    Lynchburg, VA
    IMO $150 is high for the Mark III with no shipping. I just bought a Mark VI off eBay for $120 shipped and it's in excellent condition. Whan I was looking for a used Peavey, I found that prices (on eBay) varied pretty widely on the same model - if you wait, you may be able to find a better bargain.

14. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    150 is a little high, though not horrible. let's face it, if you get it for 125, thatd be a good price. we are only talking 25 bucks here, right?

I am sure you have spent more trying to score with some studip girl in a bar that you dont even know, only to end up chick-less at the end of the night. That extra 25 bucks, invested in this PV, gives much better HEAD, imo.

(ok, bad one)

look at it this way- it's nearly fully discounted for time. another year isnt goiing to hcange it's price much. So, you could sell it for 100 easily in a year, and you have had your PV for a buck a week.

either way, best of luck with it.

15. Herman

Herman

Dec 25, 2005
    Lynchburg, VA
    My point is that there are Mark 3s through 8s on eBay all the time - if one waits and watches for a week or two, you may find a better head for an even better price.

16. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

All too true, but there's ALOT of validity to this point as well:

"Bottom line though is if you can try it and like it that's better than saving a few bucks on an untried amp."

"I like the Mark III better than the VIII 'cause the III looks waaaaay cooler."

Now, I don't know about the "looks waaaaay cooler" part, but the Mark III DID have an very good sound, and never gave me a bit of trouble... The main reasons why I traded it in, was the Mark VIII I ended up with was made in '04, the III was made in the late 70s - I traded the III, kicked in $135, and got a 2 year old amp with LOTS more headroom, a DI outlet, AND got a 2 year warrantee(big selling point in the deal to me) - so, for me it was a slam dunk!!! Although I'd buy another Mark III, if I ever needed one...

- georgestrings

17. yanikins

yanikins

Sep 6, 2008
    Gold Coast
    To revive a dead thread, I just picked one of these suckers up tonight. It's replacing an SWR700 that up-and-died a few weeks ago. Long story short, i love this thing. Like, really love it. Plugged it in, cranked it up, instant tone satisfaction.

18. bstringrandy

bstringrandy Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2004
    Jacksonville, FL
    This is the same rig I started on! Here's my 75 rig that I picked up for $200 last year. Solid as a rock!

1380991297291.jpg

19. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Love me some Mark IV! I have a Mark VI on the way as well.

Attached Files: