Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

peavey mark iv eq issues

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by brien_4, Jun 9, 2003.

1. i've recently purchased an older peavey head and 18 inch black widow cabinet. i've added 410 yorkville but am having issues getting a good slap sound out of the head. if anyone has this amp and knows anything about it, could they help me out? thanks.

2. I've got an old Mark IV which I don't currently use, but it's a fine sounding amp for general use. Very quiet, versatile EQ, channel switching, etc.. I'd have to ask what kind of bass you're putting through it. In general, you'd want to pay attention to how the mid freqs are shaped in relation to lows and highs when you're trying to get a good slap tone. You definitely don't want to be boosting mids, and most likely you'd be cutting them. This is where the term "smiley faced" EQ comes from, because the lows and highs are generally boosted, while the mids are cut (attenuated). The degree of the boosting and cutting should be carefully approached, however. For instance, I wouldn't even try to get a slap tone if you're just using the 18" cab you mentioned, but with the 410 you ought to get something usable. Start with all EQ flat, and with the Mark IV this means graphic sliders centered (or the Graphic switched out), and Channel Two's (I think that's the "active EQ" channel) EQ pots at 0. My experience with a basic sound on this amp (and my bass) with a 410 cab is to cut the bass pot just a little (-3), boost the treble more (+6), and cut the mids starting at -6, then adjust the mid shift knob 'til it starts sounding right. For me the mid cut works good at around 250 - 300 Hz. This is all with no bright switches engaged, and no use of the graphic EQ (yet). If you don't have a footswitch, make sure the passive channel's (Channel One I think) Pre and Post Gain knobs are fully counter-clockwise (off). It's all very subjective, so you've got to experiment. Let us know what you come across.

Whacker

3. dude, you help is greatly appreciated. i was unsure if anyone'd be able to help me out but at least you've give me somewhere to start. that's wicked.
    i'm currently playing a gibson/epiphone les paul, standard length, two emg select pickups, one at the bridge and one at the neck. the pickups are not active but do induce incredible tone. also, the guy who set it up for me pointed out that the pick-ups tend to compress when pushed to max volume, so i kinda stay off the full boost most of the time. which brings me to another point. what should the mix be between the two pick-ups?

well, there it is. if you can help me out anymore, that'd be unreal, but if not, i thank you kindly for what advice you've already offered.

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    How long is a piece of string?

It's all relative. It varies from bass to bass and even from player to player. You've just gotta keep experimenting.

This is just my opinion - Those Les Paul basses aren't the best for slap tone. Most slappers would go for something brighter and punchier. A lot of slappers like, for example, Stingrays or G&L's.

5. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    18's are not known for slap tone, and they are power hogs so I dont think the head you have will do the trick with both cabs.Go with the 410 alone. Whacker gave you a good starting point.

Mike

6. I second and third the responses of our TB cohorts. Your bass is probably not the best for what we'd consider a good starting point for a slap sound. Even an inexpensive J-Bass copy could get an all right slap sound (?), so if you have any bass playin' buddies that might have other axes you could test drive through your rig, you'd have more to go on. But don't chuck that amp: I plan on keeping mine for utility and quiet recording environments. I only wish it were half as large as it is! Good Luck!

Whacker

7. thanks for all the advice. i kinda thought that about the old les paul, maybe not the guitar i need. doesn't have quite the sound i'm looking for. and i agree, the 18 will have to go. tell me this though: if i switch to a j-bass, will i still get the great bottom end that this guitar gives me, or are they just two things i can't have with one guitar? (slap tone AND bottom end)anyway, thanks dudes, the advice is wonderful and greatly appreciated.

8. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Time to get out and try as many basses as you can..... there are lots of basses out there that can do both.

The basses I mentioned above can go either way (yes that includes the Stingray). Tthey can be bright slap monsters or warm groove machines. Especially the G&L. It was designed by Leo Fender to cover the classic Fender passive warmth, as well as the stingray punch. Be warned it has lots of switches and knobs.