Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey Mark IV- Opinions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kirbywrx, Jan 30, 2004.

1. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    [​IMG]

What does everyone think of this?
    There is one for sale in a pawn shop for roughly $400. It was made in 1982, and im not sure weather the sound will be good or what it will be like construction wise. being a pawn shop, i doubt i could try it. This will be an extra 60 watts compared to my 150 watt combo i have now. 2 channels, graphic EQ, is it worth it?

2. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Tyler Hole has that exact amp, why don't you shoot him a PM.

3. odie

odie Supporting Member

$400 us?? No it isnt worth it. In the USA I have seen Ampeg, EDEN and SWR go just a bit more.

4. Bingo.

I just know it's not good for metal. Anything else.....iuno.

5. I got a Peavey Mark III and it's 26 years old. It actually sounds really good. Great thing about it is the automix so you can get an EQ for both channels + graphic EQ (if you so choose). Should come with a built-in compressor too. I payed $150 for mine on eBay. The Mark IV is a later model so I imagine it would be more expensive, but around $200 more? Naw...I'd search eBay or TB or something for one. I think xcental34x has a Mark series head for sale unless he has sold it already.

6. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Its off the Market. I was forced to give my Mark III Musician back, so I'm back to using the Centurion. I'd get the Mark IV if you can't find one anywhere else. Peavey Marks are amazing amps. They run really cheap too.

~Patrick

7. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    ive got an opportunity to get a Peavey Mark III 400B for $150, not sure if ill be able to play it much before i buy it. should i go for it?

8. Go for it man. I didn't regret getting a 26 year old amp. The one you speak of sounds like it's not as old though, one of the later Mark III models.

9. the mark IV's a pretty good...i got myself a Mark III 300chs(made in 82)...which i got for $350 aus....well..i actually traded my ashton (shudder) 150w combo for...its good...better than the newer peavey stuff... but i prefer a hartke...which i hope i can get soon....where i got my kubicki has a transporter 15" and a ha2000....i was thinking of getting the Ha2000 and the transporter 15" and then getting a transporter 4x10" and using my peavey to run the 15" while using the HA2000 to run the 4x10" so i could control the volume of each cab and use effects on one amp and have one clean...as done by Tim Commerford.....

but back on track...i prefer the mark 3 to the 4.....simply because the mark 3 doesn't have a para-mid

cheers heath

10. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The MkIV is a very reliable head. Soundwise it's somewhat mid-heavy and doesn't have a very "open" sound. If it still has the footswitch, the ability to switch channels to get different EQ settings or even overdrive makes it quite versatile.

In the USA these go for $100-200 used.

200 watts into 4 ohms will not be noticeably louder than your current 150 watts into the SAME speaker. However into the right speaker cabinet (4 ohm 2-15, 4 ohm 8-10, etc.) these things can be plenty loud. The amp can drive 2 ohm loads (i.e. 4 8 ohm cabs or 2 4 ohm cabs) at 300 watts.

heath_the_great, your MkIII (if it's the one in the thumbnail) is not from 82...more like late 80s or 90s. The original MkIII looked identical to the MkIV.

11. I've got one that I used for roughly 10 years. They are rated at about 150 watts into 8 ohms, 210 into 4ohms and 300 into 2 ohms. I never had any trouble with mine over the years. I pushed a Sunn 2x15 EVL cab with it and it was plenty loud. $400 is pretty high considering that it probably didn't cost that much when it was new. I think you can do a lot better. and....................

12. heath, my drummer's uncle has that same head which makes my assumption that I have an older model of the Mark III correct. Great head it is indeed! I am also looking into getting a Hartke head for my rig (have a Hartke 410VX already), but my Peavey Mark III will tide me over for a long while till I am able to get it. Once I do, Peavey Mark III becomes the backup head.

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I got one in the early '80s to replace the Fender Bassman 50 that got ripped off. As I recall, I really liked the Peavey (oh, shut up, you hosers). Pretty versatile and plenty of power. I'd try to talk him down on the price a notch, but buy it.

14. I've been looking at these during my search for my first decent bass rig (150-200+ watts, maybe a combo). One sold on ebay a week or 2 ago for $150 US. What kind of tone do these things put out? Can it sound nice and clear (I know it depends what cab you have, but say if I was running through a 2x10)?

15. hey tyler....yeah the are quite good...(peavey's).....but the hartke's are much better...im planning on getting a HA2000 head and a transporter 15" and 4x10" and using the pavey to run the 15" and the hartke to run the 4x10" that way i can use effects while still having a clean sound.....ala tim commerford