1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Peavey Mark IV Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ChinesePizza, Aug 13, 2007.

1. ChinesePizza

ChinesePizza

Feb 14, 2007
    I guy i know is selling the amp with the matching cabinet. I could'nt find any reviews on it, so what are ur guys thoughts about it lookin for a good hard rock, metal amp. Thanks

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    It's been a long time, but I used one for a while back in the 90's. It was a hire amp and I remember it being a very solid, reliable amp with a fairly neutral sound. It had enough tone shaping available that I don't think a good rock tone will be a problem.

3. I'd concur with that. They weight a ton though, and you'll only get the full 300 watts from it at 2 ohms. I really like mine, although it seems to be the one in a million that has failed- they're well known for reliability.

4. Some amps go down as the best a company has produced ie the Fender Twin Revereb regardless of what follows later, with Peavey I think that the MKIV takes some beating.

5. rok51

rok51 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Generally, the classic Peavey designs, of which the Mark IV is a part, are relatively inexpensive to fix when something goes wrong. Their reputation for ruggedness is well-deserved...

Kim

6. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    I have used one for the last 24 years (bought it new in 1983).

It has never failed me!

Not long after I got it I was playing in a hard rock band with 2 guitarists using 50w Marshall half stacks and a drummer on a 13 piece kit!

I used 2 2x15 cabs running the head at 2ohms = No problem!

Now days I use a Peavey 410tx for most of my gigs and it does just fine!

7. Colonel_Claypoo

Colonel_Claypoo Steve Harris nut

Oct 24, 2007
    Germany
    hey, i was wondering if this head is capable of some kind of overdrive sound?
    well, not overdrive per se but crunch like on the old maiden albums (iron maiden, killers)

8. Had one for 20 some yers, great amp.

9. Bassenstien

Bassenstien

Jun 13, 2006
    Mississippi
    Loud. I personally love the sound. You cant break em if you try. Great amps.

10. Bassenstien

Bassenstien

Jun 13, 2006
    Mississippi
    The one I used to use could overdrive quite nice with the pre gain cranked.

11. Bought mine used in '99, and it gets used about 4 hours everyday (teaching), as well as off and on gigging. No issues what-so-ever. Sounds great!

I would recommend it highly if the price is right.

***If you buy it, I can send you a pdf of the owner's manual if you like***

12. Colonel_Claypoo

Oct 24, 2007
    Germany
    thanks guys.

how much would you pay for one from the 80`s?
    do you think the volume is sufficient for small rehearsal rooms?

13. I gigged mine into a 2x15 and never found lack of power to be a problem.

14. Oh gawd yes!...I've done arena stages with mine.

I leant it out to The Stampeders a few weeks ago for a show here, he was really impressed by it and didn't need to go higher than 6.

15. Colonel_Claypoo

Oct 24, 2007
    Germany
    ok, nice.

could somebody tell me exactly if this is a mark IV?

[​IMG]

i can't read the bottom left corner of the amp and the switches at the farthest right of the eq section looks different compared to this here:

[​IMG]

16. The above pic appears to be a Mark III...very similar, but has a few differences

The lower pic is a IV

17. Colonel_Claypoo

Oct 24, 2007
    Germany
    well, i thought a mark iii looked like this: [​IMG]

click on the maiden pic to enlarge.

18. Colonel_Claypoo

Oct 24, 2007
    Germany
    yeah you're richt man. thanks!
    my eyes didn't even catch that detail:)

that's it.

did you own a mark iii perhaps?

i'd also guess that there's not much of a difference between this mark ii model and the mark iv?

thanks!

19. A buddy of mine bought one about a month before I got mine, we were able to compare side by each with the same cab, very similar sound, a little better contouring and tonal control on the IV, but for the most part they were almost the same.

He got his with a single 18 (BW), I got mine with an 1820 cab, 1-18" (BW) and 2-10" Scorpions, I gutted it the same weekend, and custom made it into 2-10 and 1-18 cabs.

I just posted this pic in the Peavey thread but it seems fitting to put it here, sorry for the big pic.

[​IMG]