1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Peavey Mark IV with Tour 210? 4 ohm head with 8 ohm cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by NickInMesa, May 1, 2009.

1. I am looking for a new head to use with my Peavey Tour 210 and was looking into older Peavey heads.

Would a Peavey Mark IV work well with this cab? I am also looking to get a 115 later on.

I am a bit noobish at this. Can a 4 ohm head be connected to an 8 ohm cab?

Right now I have a Crate Power Block with both 4 and 8 ohm outputs. When I use the 4 ohm output, the sound is really bad and the cab shuts off.

Thanks for the help!

2. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    If the head is rated to 4 ohms, that means that 4 ohms is the minimum you can run, and will give you the most output when connected to a 4 ohm cab/load. Connecting your head to any cab that is 4 ohms or more will be fine.

There is no logical reason for the cab/head to cut out or sound terrible when you connect your Crate head to the Tour 210.

3. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Hi NickInMesa.

Downloading and studying the user's manuals for prospective equipment is a good first step to determining the suitability of said gear to one's needs.

Doing so is also an effective means of averting possible damage via inadvertent misuse.

4. I had a powerblock and it is a strange little amp. The mono output must be 8 ohms or greater and is 150 watts. The stereo outputs are capable of 4ohms per side but only put out 75 watts each. This is reverse of most power amps I have ever used, and I don't understand the reasoning behind it. If you are plugging an eight ohm cabinet into it you should be sure to hit the bridged output button and plug into the mono output and you should be fine. If you are not running it bridged you are probably only getting 75 watts and are pushing the head into clipping. It has a breaker that will cut off the head if you overload it.

As for the Peavey Mark IV, if I remember correctly they can drop down as low as 2 ohms(Peavey's older cabinets were typically 4 ohms and this allows you to run two of them). It will certainly handle your 210, and would have no trouble if you added a 115 later. The simple rule of thumb is to keep the overall resistance rating of the cabinets higher than or equal to the rating of the amp. But combining cabinets doesn't increase resistance, it reduces it.(Two 8 ohm cabinets results in 4 ohms of resistance) The more speakers you add the lower your resistance will get, and if it gets below the rating of the poweramp it can overload it also.

Before you start buying cabinets you might want to do a search on Ohms Law and this may clear up questions about resistance.

5. Thanks for telling me about the Crate, I understand what happens now.

I am not a big fan of the bit of compression that comes out of the Crate when playing bass through it.

Otherwise I remember how to calculate resistance (inverse of the sum of the inverses).

6. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    I have owned a Peavey MkIV since 1982 and still use it. It will handle 2, 4 and 8 Ohm loads just fine.