Peavey Mark IV

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Yogi Bear, Jan 18, 2002.

1. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    I have a chance to pick up a mid 80's Peavey Mark IV head for $100.00 that's in great shape. A buddy of mine used to let me borrow his every once in a while back in 88-89 when I first started to gig with my first band. I never payed much attention to my gear back then and don't have too much information on the head itself. I was thinking of picking it up and then with the cash I'll be saving pairing it up with an Eden D-115, or going different and looking at the Aguilar 2X12 cab. Does anyone have any experience with or information on this head? Thanks
  2. You can download the manual at

I have a MARK III that I use now. It differs slightly from the MARK IV but it is basically the same.

I'm not a Peavey fan, but I do like this bass head. I got a good deal on it back in 1980. I've have used it since then with no problems. It is 300 watts into 2 ohms/ 210 into 4 ohms. It has a compressor that seems to be more of a limiter to keep the power amp from clipping. On mine, there is a switch to turn it off/on. In the MARK IV, it looks like it is always on. I leave mine on all the time anyway. It has a built-in electronic crossover. You need a seperate power amp to utilize it. I've used it before and think it's great. The frequency is variable from 50 to 500 Hz. It has one channel with bass, mid, and treble controls. The other replaces the mid with a parametric EQ. It also has a 6-band graphic EQ that is selectible by either channel.

Everytime i think of replacing this head, I can't come up with a good enough reason to do it. So this is what I am using today. It is simple enough to adjust but has enough EQ to get a wide range of tones.