1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peavey mark VIII head and peavey 1820 bass cabinet crossover questions.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by growler571, Mar 4, 2016.

1. growler571

growler571

Sep 19, 2007
    hellow fellow bassists growler571 here, can someone please inform me how to use the crossover properly on my peavey Mark VIII head so I don't blow the 10 inch scorpion speakers in my peavey 1820 cab? This cab has an 18 inch black widow woofer and 2 10 inch scorpion speakers for the highs. If I plug into the full range output in the back of the cab what do I set my crossover on the head to so I'm not sending too much lows to the 2 10 inch speakers as I obviously do not want to blow them. Another thing is I've already messed up the crossover and the full range inputs on the back of the cab will only send power to 18 black widow driver now and nuthing from the 2 10 scorpions at all now. So how do I fix the crossover or can I still get a new crossover from peavey for the 1820 cab? The hi and low inputs still work in the back of the cab but this will put too much strain in the 210s I think cuz u can't use the crossover in the hi and low inputs in the cab I don't think. Please enlighten me on anyone who has used or uses this amp cab setup. Thanks sincerely growler571

2. Isn't that a bit oversized for a double bass?
    You might have more luck on the bass guitar side.

Remyd likes this.
  3. Remyd

Remyd

Apr 2, 2014
    St. Louis, MO
    I got to play through a 810 with a Ampeg tube amp at a blues audition once. I didn't have a BG, but it was serving as the backline so why not.

Pro: Really really startlingly loud when turned up just a little, felt like a rockabilly monster, craved silly hair

Con: sounded muddy, lacked definition in all kinds of places mostly in the high mids and went fuzzy quickly, was especially and stupidly over the top loud - made my pickup rumble on the E string, even with HPF on and the amp at 9 oclock, noticed that piezos don't really pickup clickity-clacking very well, no actual silly hair

It was not the best amp for DB. I don't think I would buy a rig like that for BG either. I ardently dislike those 18" monsters.