1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peavey Mark viii question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by KeyBucker90, Oct 29, 2013.

1. KeyBucker90

KeyBucker90

Oct 29, 2013
    Okay I have been searching the internet for about a week without any solid answer to my question. I just bought a used Peavey Mark viii bass head and Peavey 215D off of craigslist for $250. They are AWESOME!!! I got them off a church who has kept them in the same room since purchasing them new in the 80's; they have no scratches and all the features work perfectly. Here's the thing: I play keyboard. (Rolland rd700sx) Finally to my question....

I would like to pair the 215D with another cabinet that can bring our the upper mids and highs. Any suggestions? I really have no clue what to do. The Mark Viii can obviously power another cab and has a minimum 2ohm rating. (the 215D is 4ohm)

Any information would be helpful, even if i'm a dummy for buying a bass rig for my keys (i swear it sounds killer)

2. ack

ack Why Can't We All Get Along?

Nov 19, 2006
    Somewhere near Raleigh
    The Peavey 210TVX is a 4 Ohm cab with an adjustable horn.

I used my Mark VIII with the 210TVX & 115BX-BW (both are 4 Ohm cabs) and they are great together.

I've since purchased a Peavey Pro500, but I use the Mark VIII for everything else in our music room: vocals/PA, Keys, E-drums...great amp.

Not sure where you're located, but if you're near Raleigh, you can borrow mine and see how you like it and if it does the trick.

3. A single capable cab would be best like a 112, vertical aligned 210 or 212. That would save having to install a high pass filter for something like a guitar or small PA cab.

4. Have you actually tried the amp/cab with your keyboard?? It could well be enough all by itself.

You might be able to construct a "top box" that contains mid and high drivers. It will need a suitable crossover and an L-pad to balance the two cabinets.

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Yeah, not sure you want to run a 2nd full range cab with the 215. Something with a crossover, and a mid box like bassmanpaul suggested would certainly work, but you'd probably be better off using another cab altogether, IF the 215 doesn't do what you want. Try it first, just because they're 15's, doesn't mean they won't do more than just lows. Diameter alone tells you nothing useful.

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Great amp setup! I have a Peavey Mark IV and 215D. The 215D is very loud, and even overpowers my ampeg 810. A second cab probably wont change the tone much at all. I would use a different one if you dont like the tone of the 215.

7. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    Wow, am I out of the loop with Peavey amp models! I owned a Mark III, and I remember when they came out with the Mark IV. They're really all the way up to the Mark VIII now? Damn...

8. KeyBucker90

KeyBucker90

Oct 29, 2013
    Wow, Thank you for all the helpful information. I've played the 215D a lot and really like what i can get out of the 9 band EQ on the amp. That being said, the highs still leave something to be desired. When i boost the 3k-10k freq i get "chalky" or "harsh" tones. When i lower those ranges, the tones are right but the bass overpowers them. This will probably just come in time by figuring the right balance of EQ pre (from the keyboard settings) and post amplification. I will continue to tinker after work. BTW it is a ridiculous cab and the obvious logistics of transportation have be considering the 210tvx.