Peavey Mark VIII XP

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nickname, Mar 5, 2005.

1. nickname

Jan 22, 2005
    Im just curious if anyone can give me any info on this head, on how much its worth. I own one now and its in great condition, but i'd like to get rid of it, but i'd like to know how much its worth before i got into the store!
  2. ironfist

Feb 5, 2000
    Which one is it? Is it the older version that's black and silver with the textured vinyl-ish cover or the slightly newer version with the carpet and the teal/black color scheme? I own one of the newer versions and it's a very capable head. It doesn't have the greatest tone in the world but it's not bad, and it has a ton of volume. It's also quite heavy and not fun to lug around.

Anyway, enough rambling and back to your question: I don't have a blue book, but I'd say that amp is worth about three hundred, slightly less if it's the older version and/or it shows signs of wear and tear. That's about what they go for on eBay. It's tough to sell an older amp like the Peavey Mark VIII XP when there are good budget amps like the Ashdown MAG series selling for $300 new.
  3. nickname

Jan 22, 2005
    i'm looking at getting a mesa boogies bass 400+ instead. Should i trade in my peavy or try and sell it.
  4. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    As a general rule, you will almost always be better off selling something than trading it in, in terms of how much you'll get for it. But the problem with selling first is that once you sell it, you won't have an amp until you get a new one. If you trade it in, you won't have any down time between amps.

And don't just go by how much the dealer will give you on a trade, because in my experience, that doesn't mean a lot. For instance, if there's something tagged at $400 at the local shop and I have a $50 trade-in on it, I'll get it for $350. But if I don't trade anything in and buy it outright, they'd probably give it to me for $325. This has happened several times. Most music store don't want you to trade anything in because that's just something else cluttering up the place that may or may not ever sell. They'll usually cut you a better deal if you're willing to buy without trading. Just something to keep in mind.

5. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    If you try to trade it in you better get ready to grease up. At GC they will look it up in "the book" and then give you a choice between Vaseline and KY jelly. The Vaseline lasts longer but the KY is easier to clean up. The new gear you are buying will be at the regular price and if it weren't for your trade-in they would knock off about $100. So if you do the deal you will be basically giving your trade-in to them for free. Then if you go in a week later you won't believe what a valuable classic piece your trade-in turned into. Maybe list it in the forum ads or try Ebay. Good Luck.

6. :meh: .....what?