1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peavey Mark VIII

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lazarus.Bird, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Lazarus.Bird

Lazarus.Bird Mr. Personality

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    Anyone a fan of these? Couldn't find too much online but what I found seemed pretty solid. Just picked one up in pretty good shape for $100 at some weird store. Sounded pretty damn good! Figured it would make a nice backup rig but after I get a chance to mess around with it might end up gigging with it.

Bassdirty and fudgemaster like this.
  2. Lazarus.Bird

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    No one? ;)

3. Bassdude404

Bassdude404

Oct 23, 2010
    I've got a Mark III that I've been using for about 20 years...Great amp and my main rig...My only gripe is it's only 150 watts...Was looking for a Mark VIII last spring, but I got wrapped up in repainting my motorcycle and blew that off...$100 is a steal for that head....

4. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Sounds like you got a great deal - one of those amps is worth atleast $200-$250, every day of the week... Although I play mostly Mesa and G-K amps these days, I've owned plenty of Peavey amps: the Mark III, IV, VI, VIII, FB700, and a couple of T-Max's, as well as a couple of Combo 300s - and they all were good amps, that never let me down at a gig... Out of the bunch, I preferred the voicing of the VI's and th T-Max's, but I used a VIII as my main gigging amp for about a year, and it worked very well... AFAIK, the guy I sold it to is still using it - Peavy amps are definitely workhorses...

Enjoy your new amp, dude - you got a great deal on it...

- georgestrings

fudgemaster likes this.
  5. ez-rhino

ez-rhino

Sep 8, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Bass and Drum Mercenary
    I have a Mark III, found it on craigslist for $100. I used a Mark IV for a long time before finding the Mark III. If I could find a later model, I'd definitely grab one.

6. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    I've got a Mark VI that I got for free with its 2x15. First real bass rig I ever owned.

They've got a nice, unique sound. Plus, people are giving them away (both literally and figuratively). :D

fudgemaster likes this.
  7. Lazarus.Bird

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    Manual says DDT compression should be enabled at all times to protect speakers. Any input on this?

8. Lazarus.Bird

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    Also realized the grounding pin was busted and not making contact. Going to cut off the plug and put a new one on at work today. I'm a novice when it comes to being an electrician, but I can connect color to color. We have some industrial replacement plugs I can use here. Am I going to cut off the old plug and find 3 black wires?

9. jastacey

jastacey

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    When you remove the old plug, you should see a back wire, a white wire and a green wire, you will most likely have colored screws in the plug, the brass screw is connected to the black wire, the silver screw is connected to the white wire and green screw to the green wire

10. Lazarus.Bird

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    Thanks!

11. modflea

modflea

Apr 26, 2004
    Lafayette, LA
    I still have my old Mark VIII from when I first started gigging. Has never let me down. In fact I used it a couple weeks ago after it had sat untouched in the closet for years and it never missed a beat. Pushed my 810AV no sweat. $100 is a steal.

12. Lazarus.Bird

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    How do I get inside of this thing to clean it?

Also, tried it out at high volume yesterday. Man this thing has some grit! Might be too dirty for my stoner rock band, but I know a perfect amp if I ever play doom...

One issue I came across is that the sound kind of cuts out about 5 seconds after I play a note. It's a pretty drastic change, like letting the note ring out comes in below a noise gate and gets cut, except it doesn't fully get cut, just maybe half the volume? Putting my Bluebeard fuzz in front of it (a pedal with sustain of epic proportions!) resolves this. All the switches are disabled, including sustain and the DDT compressor. Any ideas? I might just take it to a tech to get it looked over.

13. I have a Mark VI and use a Mark VII at a practice spot. I've also played the Mark III and Mark IV.

The input jack gets wonky after a while, but i just shot some compressed air in it and it works fine now, haha.

As per your problem with the switches... they are weird on these amps. Sometimes in is on and out is off, while other times out is on and in is off. To rectify your sustain issues, i'd just play around with them until it works.

Last year i thought my Mark VI needed to be seen by a tech... but in the MD area, there is, like, NO ONE that will open one of these things up and look at it for a reasonable price. I only plaid $150 for mine, and the one place that said they WOULD look at it, said it'd probably cost $250 or up to look at. :mad:

If you PM Sonny (bluebeard sonny), i think i remember him mentioning to me a Peavy amp guy in Baltimore...

14. Lazarus.Bird

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    Hi Din. Thanks for the advice :) I may just see if Brooks at Big Crunch in Baltimore will take a look at it. He does great work for great $$

I don't think the sustain issue is an issue with any of the switches. I don't really understand the sustain switch/knob either, as it essentially killed me volume whenever I activated it. I think the amp probably just needs a little work. I can feel a killer tone hiding inside of it, just waiting to get out!

15. Chuck King

Chuck King Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2006
    Chicago
    I have a Mark VIII that I got earlier this year. A friend got it as part of a package deal with a cabinet he wanted, and offered it to me for a price I couldn't pass up. It turned out to be a great score, when my main head unexpectedly crapped out on me. I've been using it for rehearsals for a month or so now and it's been a trooper. I previously had a Mark III and a Mark IV, and while they were good solid amps, the Mark VIII is leagues beyond them in features, and a lot more powerful. I've had good results recording with it using the XLR out on the front panel.

I don't know what the market value of it is, but I think it's pretty safe to say that you'd have to spend a lot more than $100 to get any other amp that could match it for features, power, and durability.

16. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    Our factory service department services everything with a Peavey logo no matter how old it is. If your old Mark needs some love, send it in.

DblG likes this.
  17. Bassdude404

Bassdude404

Oct 23, 2010
    Well there 'ya go!!....:bassist: :D

18. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    I am this close to getting a Mark VIII XP myself. I keep seeing it, and I just know I can cut a deal (but probably not the deal you got). I'd be interested to hear what you think. I personally like Peavey.
    Let me know how it goes with your tweaking.
    I'll be marrying mine up with a 410fc cabinet. I think it'll be plenty loud!

19. baron665

baron665

Apr 9, 2010
    Michigan
    I see one on craigslist with a 412 cab for $275. Thinking that would be a good deal.

20. TravTrav

TravTrav

Jun 6, 2010
    WA
    ZOMBIE THREAD!!!!

Anyways, did you ever rectify this problem? I recently got a Mark VIII, and all my sustain does is go for a bit longer and louder but it makes just normal playing quieter than notes that get to ring out. I don't know if that makes any sense.

Just wondering how yours is functioning now...