Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey marketing confuses me

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bino, Mar 14, 2005.

1. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    So I'm looking to branch out of the Fender world into a more hi-fi instrument. One thing that caught my interest is the Cirrus. Only a used one is in my price range, but I've seen Peavey selling other similiar budget basses:

Cirrus BXP
    Cirrus bolt-on
    Fury quilt top

Why do they make so many nearly identical models? Does the Fury with the VFL pickups sound anything like a Cirrus? This has got me confused.

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Yeah, and what's the deal with Peavey's multiple badges and logos?

3. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Fender and Ampeg also use Multi Logos. Peavey multi similar basses confuses me too..maybe that's what they want. :eyebrow:

4. That is what I dont get either. Even the new millenium ac bxp look like the fury with active electronics and VFL pickups.

The grind is a cirrus with passive pickups and less attention to the overall finish. I really don't get peavey either. All of their basses seem nearly identical to me.

5. troll

troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    Isn't the Fury 34" and bolt on? Well theres your difference from a Cirrus.

The few I've played still sounded and played well. But nothing in their line beats a true blue Cirrus.

Troll

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'm just a simple cave-bass player. Your new modern basses and badges confuse and frighten me.

7. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

:D

8. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    I own a Fury quilt top. It mostly sits in its gig-bag. Honestly? It plays well, sounds pretty good, but its built like an 80s Chrysler. So there you have it.

9. Hey, don't forget the Peavey Grind NTB series. They are neckthru's and are often mistaken for Cirrus's. Even the 6 is under $450.

10. gyancey

gyancey

Mar 25, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Cirrus, Cirrus bolt on, Millenium: USA
    Cirrus BXP, Grind, Fury: Asia (Vietnam, I believe)

There is a large quality difference in my experience.

11. troll

troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    It leaks oil and goes through motor mounts?

Troll

12. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Basically, yeah.

But really, your average Chrylser is probably going to hold up longer. The knobs fall off, the string ferrules arent glued in, the nut is loose, The o-rings in three of the four tuning heads have broken, making it fall out of tune more often then Ashley Simpson....

I could go on, but the Asley Simpson metaphor have turned my thoughts to burning her and it in a sacrificial offering to the gods of music.

13. LMAO! :D

14. What is the difference in a Millenniem 5plus and a Cirrus bolt-on other than the pickups?