1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Peavey Max 112 or 115?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by eagle67, Oct 8, 2013.

1. eagle67

eagle67

Nov 12, 2010
    Same Wattage, and close in price. Which would you choose for your new combo amp? Also, I see that they both feature the Transtube® gain boost which automatically turns off the tweeter. Exactly how does this work?

2. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    The 112 does not have the tweeter, but the 115 does, and yes it turns off when the TT boost is activated. TT boost is an overdrive, but it doesn't increase gain the conventional way.

Basically, if you want to use the overdrive, turn on the TT boost, set your gain control for the amount of grit you want, set the volume control for how loud you want, and then when you turn TT boost off, your clean volume will match the TT boost volume. The overdrive circuit has a built in crossover so that low notes will stay clean and just the mids and highs pass through the distortion circuit.

3. eagle67

eagle67

Nov 12, 2010
    Ahhhhhh Thanks BbbyBld. Please tell me if I’ve got this right:

If you set the gain Low and activate the TT Boost, the sound is clean, and the tweeter is off. So you can still achieve maximum clean volume using only the Volume knob, regardless of Gain setting.
    Then what happens with the mids and highs?

Also, can you tell me the dimensions of the Max 115? The website lists only the “packed” dimensions, and it looks like the Max 112 is DEEPER than the 115. Is that right?

And finally, do these amps sound a lot alike, or much different? Thanks again -Eagle

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    One thing is for sure, the 115 will get louder than the 112 will.

5. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    If you turn the gain down too much, you won't be able to reach full power, but the overdriven sound is pretty subtle unless you really crank the gain. The mids and highs will start to compress at first before they break up. You can easily dial in a vintage type clean tone sans tweeter if that's what you're asking.

I don't have a 115 around to measure dimensions right now. I own one, but I'm in the process of moving. I think there is another thread around where I gave the dimensions. The 112 is deeper because of the tilt back cab.

The 112 and 115 sound a lot alike because they have the same preamp. What would you use it for? If you play in a rock band and you need the amp to carry the house in a 100-150 seat room, I'd lean towards the 115. If you always have PA support or you play smaller venues, or you just like a loud practice amp, I think the 112 would do the job.

6. eagle67

eagle67

Nov 12, 2010
    Thank You BbbyBld! You have answered all my questions completely. Tilt Back - why didn't I think of that? Peavey should be proud to have you represent them.

7. I bought a "shipping Damaged" MAX115, but don't particularly care for its bass sound, which surprised me, as I have always liked the Peavey Bass amps -like the TNT I rented to play a wedding. This amp I can live with, but I accidentally depressed the "TT Boost" button without knowing while the gain was at 3:00, and it sounded like bad, amplified fret buzz to me...I was puzzled, until I thought to check all the little push buttons (which most definitely should either have LED's , or pop-up twice as high, so I could tell at a glance. I thought for sure I had bought a clunker, and brilliant me let the paperwork go into the trash while clearing out a room.
    I guess I'll live with it now, but I believe I would advise anyone else to get a Rumble, with Fender's 5 year transferrable warranty. This amp works for jazz and lounge work, but just does not have that botttom-dweller sound I like for Blues (and a LOUD blues band at that!).
    Am I alone in thinking the Peavey's USED to sound better when made in the USA?

8. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    BbbyBld, I heard rumors that you guys might be bringing back a select number of classic American made bass amps-- is that in the works somewhere down the line? That would be excellent PR after the last TV debacle. "Peavey building classic amps in Miss again..." You guys probably still have the original designs and templates for some of the classic stuff. Hey, look at Fender.... their reissues are a huge success. I'll bet if you brought back the Batman style logo and silver fin grills you would find a huge American audience happy to buy Made In USA! :)