Peavey Max 115 amp clipping on high notes

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Shane Smith, Mar 22, 2018.

1. Shane Smith

Shane Smith

Mar 22, 2018
    **Please bear with me, I have very limited knowledge about amps but am willing to learn.**

I have a Peavey MAX 115 bass amp and am experience what I believe to be clipping on high notes. I usually play an upright bass with a shadow electronics single disk transducer for a pickup. Lately I now play on it with a Ibanez GSR 200.

I have experienced the clipping on both instruments and other basses I've tried. At first it was an isolated incident where the amp would not play at all until I turned it off for a bit and turned it back on. Lately it happens whenever I play on the amp. If I play low notes, it usually does not cut out. However as soon as a play higher than a high C (5th fret of G string) it will cut out altogether. Right as I hit the high note it goes into a protection mode (with the DDT that is on the amp I believe) and I cannot play anything low or high until I turn of the amp or slap the strings. I've also noticed that if I try to hit a note hard, the power button will have a flash of red but will remain blue otherwise.

I've tried different cords, basses, and settings but it always seems to come back. The amp has worked well for over a year for me and has just started doing this. Is there a way I can fix this? I am not afraid to work on the amp myself if it is more cost effective.

Thank you!

2. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Try another cab?

3. Shane Smith

Shane Smith

Mar 22, 2018
    Alright, I might seem dumb but I'm not familiar with the lingo. I did my best to google. Cab as in cable? Yes tried a different cable. Cab as in cabinet the speaker is housed in? Not sure how I'd change that and what exactly that would do.

To clarify, this is the amp I have: MAX® 115 : Peavey.com
    I don't believe I can change the cabinet as the input box where I plug in(don't know term for it) is attached to the speaker or cabinet. EDIT: It is a combo of amplifier and speaker. I'm adding as I figure things out.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
    BadExample likes this.
  4. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    I suggest having it checked by an amplifier technician.

Shane Smith and BassmanPaul like this.
  5. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

That was going to be my suggestion too.

6. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    I meant speaker cab, but as a combo, it’s probably best to get it to a tech as the smart fellas said.

Shane Smith likes this.
  7. Shane Smith

Shane Smith

Mar 22, 2018
    Alright, thank you!

Anyone know the average cost of having the amp repaired?

8. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Depends on what’s wrong.

9. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Is your bass active? Check battery. Peavey's are usually indestructible.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021