Peavey Max 115 II Volume Issues

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tony 2050, May 6, 2019.

1. Tony 2050

Tony 2050

May 6, 2019
    So I bought a Peavey Max 115 used from GC for around $200 (I gig regularly so I’m not crazy fixated on tone as long as the amp has some sort of OD & a tuner I’m set). But I get the thing and at first it’s great light weight and comes with what I’m looking for but when I set it up to rehearse with my band it wasn’t even close to loud enough. We’re a garage rock / punk band so we’re pretty loud so I’d figure that a 300 watt bass amp would be more than loud enough (my old amp was a 200 Watt Acoustic B200 but it was barley loud enough. Whenever I try to push it the amp clips like crazy and that’s well before I’m even close to loud enough to be heard past 5 feet in front of the amp. Are these things known for being in useably quite or is it just a simple fix cause I’d hate to have spent $200 on an amp I can’t even use.

Last edited: May 6, 2019
  2. Tony 2050

Tony 2050

May 6, 2019
    Maybe the DDT?

3. Geri O

Geri O Endorsing Artist, Mike Lull Guitars and Basses Gold Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    I don't think that's enough amp for your situation.

I've done a couple of gigs as a sub for those kinda bands (definitely a fish out of water) and both times I wish and brought my SVT-CL810 along. Stupid loud.

Not saying you need an SVT, but maybe something in between that and what you have....

4. Tony 2050

Tony 2050

May 6, 2019
    For sure I used to have a Hartke 1155 from like the 90’s or something (I wouldn’t know I’m only 20) that was PLENTY loud but stupid heavy. You know anything combos that are loud but light?