1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Peavey Max 450 Head, which cab..?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CoMa, Jan 3, 2012.

1. CoMa

CoMa

Jan 3, 2012
    Hi All,

Was wondering if I could get some advice on the following: I have a Peavey Max 450 Head aka 140eolx.

I'm a vocalist in my main band (*Whore* www.SEREGON.co.uk >> For all your SEREGON needs...) but am also in a covers band with the drummer and a friend however are now at the point where we will start to gig etc.

Can anyone reccomend the cheapest/best/preferred cab to go with the head so I can get the full power from it?

I know the following about the amp:

450 watts (rms) at 2 ohms
    300 watts (rms) at 4 ohms
    170 watts (rms) at 8 ohms

So yeah, if possible can someone help with which cab?

Cheers!

2. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    Looks like a nice head. Based on the stats you gave, I would look at an Ampeg 410HLF. See what is available used in your area. That head will run most med size cabs without any issues.....Good luck . . .

3. CoMa

CoMa

Jan 3, 2012
  4. CoMa

CoMa

Jan 3, 2012
    Again, any help is appreciated.

5. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    AKA (exactly the same head) as an earlier peavey Nitro, I still use one alot - great head if you play at sane volume levels. I use either one of the evil Dr. bass rx212 cabs or a 4 ohm Peavey 410TVX. The 212 is more mid oriented, the TVX kicks some major booty, and they're pretty cheap used - usually no more than $250.....

The typical canned TB response will be that getting all the power out of a head is unneccessary and that you should get 8 ohm cabs to be able to add on later, but with these particular 2 ohm capable Peaveys, starting off with 4 ohms @ 300 watts is the way to go.

Leave the contour knob off, (fully counter clockwise), crank the mids up to at least 3/4ths, run the mid shift between 500 and 800 hz or so.

6. I agree with Jaco. I use the Max 450 with the 4 ohm Peavey 410TVX. It's a very good sounding rig. I used various effects and the Peavey produces a clean and loud tone.

You should be able to pick up the Peavey cab for cheap. I've even seen them used at GC for $200. Great bang for the buck.

7. CoMa

CoMa

Jan 3, 2012
  8. Never played through the Ashdown, but I will add another vote for the PV 410 TVX. It kicks major booty. I use one with either of my heads and it has never failed to be loud enough with one cab, while sounding great. Down side to being built like a tank is that it weighs just as much. Get a buddy and dont look back.

9. CoMa

CoMa

Jan 3, 2012
    Well nothing on eBay in the UK for the 410 TVX but will keep an eye out!

"Have head, will travel!".

I may very well be back with some other cabs but makes sense to hunt for a 410TVX 4 ohm so it allows me to buy another if I wanna stack em!

10. ack

ack Why Can't We All Get Along?

Nov 19, 2006
    Somewhere near Raleigh
    Not sure where you're located, but I have a couple of 4 Ohm Peavey cabs (a 210TVX and a BX115-BW) - you're more than welcome to try them out for comparison sake.

11. I used to use a similar(ish) setup.

Peavey Firebass (eqv. of Max 700) and a Peavey 410TXF (older version of TVX), I also ran it with a Peavey 215 D BW.

The 410 was great, quite low/low-mid heavy, the 215 was a bit flatter in response.

Both were great cabs with that amp. I also use a Marshall 810, but that didn't work too well with the Firebass.

12. I used a budget brand 2-12" cab that worked great with my Nitrobass Head (the amp that the Max 450 is based on). I would also recommend buying used. Any reason why you can't take the head to try the Ashdown with? I don't have personal experience with ashdown, but I love some of the bass players that use it.

13. CoMa

CoMa

Jan 3, 2012
    In Bristol in the UK... Can only assume you are in Raleigh North Carolina...?

14. ack

ack Why Can't We All Get Along?

Nov 19, 2006
    Somewhere near Raleigh
    Correct. That's not a cost effective trip.
    If you were in Bristol, Tennessee that would be different.

If you find yourself coming to the states, you're more than welcome.

15. Almost forgot, I would try for a 4 ohm cab to start with. That amp is pretty weak at 8 ohms.