Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

peavey MAX 450 head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xb100, May 18, 2004.

1. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    I was looking at this head the other day and it seems perty darn nice!! 450 watts @ 2ohms. Anyone have experiance with this amp? Ive looked for a price but cant find one. I assume probly around 500$ or something but gatta keep my eyes open :bassist:

2. Looks like the price is about $430 @ Musicians Friend. These are great amps! I used to own the Max 700, and currently own the Firebass 700 (same thing as the Max, but with older faceplate). Very cool amps! Lots o power, great tonal options, and rock solid performance! Just as an FYI - the Max 700 is only about $100 more...might think about waiting a bit longer and grabbin that model - it can do 700 watts into 2 ohms!

3. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    awesome!! thx man ill look into it!!! :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

4. TB member GeorgiaHonk recently bought a Max450 and likes it quite a bit. I have enjoyed the Max series myself quite a bit. It was fun when I got one of each in the series in the lab for testing and used them to power an 810 TX. My pbass sounded really nice and thick with that setup.

Still, my favorite peavey amp moment was the first time I plugged my former MIM jazz into a firebass700 412TVX half stack. incredible.

robb.

5. Hey man...like rcz said, I just bought one a few days ago. I can't write a decent review, since I don't have a cabinet to play it through yet, but I can say that the Max series stuff is very worthwhile from a price-to-features perspective. When you're on a budget like me that is very important, as is toughness and reliability. Fortunately, Peavey has an excellent reputation for bullet-proof reliability as well.

As others have mentioned, the old NitroBass is the same head as the 450 Max, and the old FireBass is the same head as the new 700 Max. Keep a lookout for those older models, since they might be considerably cheaper than the newer ones. There nearly always seem to be a few on eBay. I lucked into a new 450 Max that had been a floor demo model and got it for a very good price, so that's an option for you too. FWIW, the local dealer with the best price quoted me $420. My demo model was a bit less than that.

6. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    I have the Max 450, and while I can't complain about its tone, I get better results for my tastes, going through my sansamp into the power amp in. This thing is a tank, and I'm not afraid to let it clip a little. Heavy though. Good luck shopping, I'm just afraid if you're like me, after you've had it for a short while you'll be wanting to upgrade to something with more tonal options.

Dirk