Peavey Max 450, tell me your feelings about it!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Yossarian, Jun 27, 2004.

1. Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    So I'm aiming for some sort of peavey rig. I've got about $1200 of store credit, ampeg and peavey are my only options and ampeg has heinously betrayed me. My thoughts are:

Peavey 410 TVX (4 ohm)
    and later the Peavey 115 BVX (4 ohm)

Peavey Max 450. Anybody ever used this amp with the peavey 410 TVX? At 4 ohms? Or anything, anything at all? I'm worried about volume (my ampeg was like a mouse, a tiny, crippled, whimpering mouse that had a beautiful voice but no vocal chords) Is it loud, powerful, will it shake my insides? Will I say to it, "I love you Max 450, for you are both loud enough and perpetually unbroken"? Or will I curse at it repeatedly? Any thoughts on the Max 450 will please me.
  2. Well, I've not tried the Max 450, but I've owned a Max 700 and currently own a Firebass 700 driving a 410 TVX. The combination is quite loud, but in a loud rock band I have to push it. Adding a TNT115 to the mix helps alot, so I think the Firebass + 2 x 4x10 or 4x10 + 1x15 (or what I'm gonna get - 2 x 2 x 12 :):)) would be marvelous. I'd recommend paying a bit more and grabbing the Max 700 - it's not much more and you'll be happy you have the power down the road.
  3. Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    Were you running it with an 8 ohm 410 TVX or a 4 ohm one?

Actually, this leads me to another question. Lately I've heard some talk on this forum that having an amp that's rated more watts than your cabinet is not a bad thing, which I had been under the impression was bad, bad, bad mojo. That's why I was not thinking about the max 700, I didn't think I could use it with one cabinet. Would a 475 watt amp on a 350 watt cab be begging for trouble or not?
  4. Depends on what cab. If it was a 4x10, thats only over-loading each speaker like what, 35 watts? Could almost be good for the cab.
  5. Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    the Max 700 is 475 watts at 4 ohms. the 410 TVX cabinet is 350 watts at 4 ohms. So you think that's fine?
  6. Yeah I'd think so. Maybe someone can back me up?
  7. Sorry about that! My 410TVX is a 4ohm cab, so the Firebass is putting out 495 watts to it! Works fine!
  8. Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    OKAY new question. I'm pondering a power/preamp setup now. Look at this:

PV 900 (2 channels, 300 watts at 4 ohms each) - $290
    Ampeg SVP-PRO (I just love the sound so much) - $500
    Peavey 410 TVX (350 watts 4 ohms) - $490

I can pretty much afford that.

Can I use just one channel of the power amp? You know, until I can afford the 115. Would that be weak? 300 watts at 4 ohms, that's the same as what the Max 450 would be on the one cab. How loud are two seperate loads of 300 watts at 4 ohms compared to one load of 450 watts at 2 ohms? I'm confused. Help me!
  9. Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    I'd still like to know about the Max 450 and/or 700 though. Any more thoughts? Especially on volume?

ESPECIALLY compared to an ampeg b-2r, if anyone has experience with both.
  10. The Peavey is going to blow away the B2r because the B2r is the QUIETEST 400 watts you'll ever hear.
  11. matt bass

matt bass

Apr 28, 2003
    Staffs, England
    I play a Firebass (Max 700) through a Peavey 410 at 4 ohms. Dude, do not worry about volume, this thing is plenty loud.

If you need extra power, add another cab, then you can push the 700 watts through
  12. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Peavey does "loud" very well. In the recent years it seems as though everything else is improving by leaps and bounds.
  13. if you can handle (or prefer) its thick, thick sound, might i suggest the 412TVX cabinet for a loud peavey rig? you may find that you won't need to add another cabinet. the 412TVX is a bit larger than the 410TVX, but to my ears it is well worth it. and i was still able to fit it in the trunk of my old ford focus.

14. Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    Thanks everyone! I just want to be 100% sure though, a 475 watt at 4 ohm Max 700 is okay to use with a 350 watt at 4 ohm 410 TVX, right? Just, as long as I don't crank it all to ten or anything. That's compatible?
  15. dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    I have 2 gripes with the max 450. First of all, I play it through an ampeg 210 and a Peavey 15 (which actually just got blown) and with this setup the 450 was straining to be heard in a loud rock band. The red LED clip comes on a lot. And I mean a lot. Anytime I dig in.. even with the gain at minimum volumes. The tone is just so sterile. I use a Sansamp BDDI to warm it up a good bit, but I'm still not getting the power I'd like. Since my 15 is blown I'm going to borrow the 412 Peavey cab to put underneath my 210, at least until the construction on my Ampeg 810 is finished. It's also quite heavey for the power you get from it. A lot of my problem stems from the fact that there are 3 guitarists in my band, and although 2 of them use small combos, I guess I just can't cut through with that setup. If you dig the tone of the peavey, I say go for the Max 700, unless you're going to be pushing major air with you speaker cabs.

16. The 410TVX is rated at 700watts program, so you can run the amp all the way up on 10 if you want. The 350w RMS rating is a conservative measure of the amp's performance of a continuous 1khz sine wave @ 350w for 4 hours.
  17. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    You can actually run a 1000 watt amp with a 200 watt cab with no problem. If you don't crank the amp up were you are distorting the cab you are perfectly safe. You have more danger underpowering your cabs than overpowering them. If someone is underpowering a cab they tend to turn it up more and the resulting clipping/distortion can kill the amp and/or the speaker. I would definately buy the Firebass/Max 700 head over the Max 450.
  18. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I saw the 450 for 429 new locally(today. ) How much are they in your neck of the woods?
  19. Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    The local shop basically just charges whatever musiciansfriend does. They cost more on the tag, but if you mention musiciansfriend they twitch and cringe and agree to match it. So $440 I guess.