Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey Max 450

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dirk, Dec 24, 2003.

1. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Hello all. Once again I'm GASing for new gear and the Peavey Max 450 is the current focus. I'm thinking of getting rid of my rack rig (well at least the power amp) and simplifying to this head. I played it yesterday through an Ampeg 810 and it was plenty loud enough, I didn't crank it too much b/c the G was buzzing every snare in the store. The store won't give me very much for my QSC RMX850, so I'm trying to sell it on the boards here (shameless plug). My problem with the rack is the weight of everything plus the fact it is so cumbersome. I'm looking for a solid head that can go loud (I'll be using my SABDDI for most of the tone) that will last a while, therefore not allowing myself to justify buying another head. Also I want something less cumbersome than the ATA rack, and hopefully a little lighter. Is this Peavey my answer, b/c it seems to be. Any other options I might be missing?

Thanks and Merry Christmas,
    Dirk

2. Kind of underpowered for an 8x10 I think?

Glenn

3. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Fungus,
    I don't think it's underpowered. 8 10s push a lot of air. It might lack some headroom, but there a lot of folks on the board here running 100 tube watts, which would be comparable to about 300 solid-state, into an ampeg 810. The setup I will be using most of the time will be an Ampeg 210 and Peavey 15.

Dirk

4. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    any other thoughts if this head fits the bill of what I'm looking for? I'm almost convinced but I just don't want to miss out on another great head by getting the Peavey.

5. Mattski

Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    I had a Nitrobass (the last name of the Max 450) and a Peavey 810 Cab. This set-up worked great for me and the head handled the 810 with no issues. This is a loud 450 Watts. I also had an SABDDI to improve the tone, because it was bland on it's own; not transparent mind you, but bland.

I sold the amp and cab and went with GK heads and Avatar cabinets. I am happier now than I was with the Peavey.

The Peavey is absolutly bullet-proof and I can easily recommend it. It does weigh 40#, which is not light, but may be considerably less than your current unit.

Good Luck!

Matt

6. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Mattski,
    thanks for the reply. I'm not even sure exactly how much the unit I have now weighs. I am sure however that it is definitely too cumbersome for me to get on my own. It was a bitch to carry with one hand and very very awkward with both hands. I think the Peavey will serve me well, if I can just rake the cash together.