Peavey Max 700 DDT light?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Yossarian, Jul 30, 2004.

1. Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    So this DDT speaker protection thing on my peavey max 700 is supposed to protect the speakers. It may seem like a dumb question... but how much is it supposed to flash? I'm trying to just keep it from flashing at all, because it makes me feel better, and there's not really much mid-ground between not flashing at all and flashing on every other note. So at what point is this light telling me "you are killing your speakers, you moron." ?
  2. LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    The light comes on when the ddt circuit is activated. According to the Peavey website, if it flashes while playing it's fine. If the light is constantly lit while you are playing you need to make some adjustments. For your amp, the mid freq and the pre amp gain knob are going to make the Largest impact on getting the light to blink less often. Also the Active/passive switch can help but it will decrease your volume output.
    I use the Nitrobass head (450watt) the controls are the same I believe. Try setting your volume and your pre gain mid way, ajust eq to your liking, use the volume knob on your bass to boost or decrease the volume.
    Also, are you running 2 cabs or just 1?
  3. Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    Just one cab (4 ohm). I set it up to keep it from flashing, it's not really a problem just yet. What you said (volume and pregain mid way) was pretty much what I've been doing, I basically play it flat except i cut the mids a little, gain at about 2/5 and volume around 3/5 and it didnt really flash but every 30 seconds or so on some ugly note. I'm just hoping to know for future reference if I need to push it harder. Thanks though, that pretty much answers it!
  4. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    I own the T-Max, it is the predecessor of the Nitrobass. Controls come very close I think, also equipped with the DDT speaker compression. I prefer not to use it, same setting as yours. (topicstarter)

It is indeed no problem when it lits, but it takes some of your headroom. Therefore you should better not use it continuously, but only for the real protection. (Euh... I'm not talking about rubbers now ;)) The Low and High Shelving knobs ( I don't know if you have it on the Max 700 by head) have to me the largest consequences, because they are the extremities in your sound. If you lower them a bit, you get more headroom and your sound gets better and deeper. Using the EQ heavily costs you power, thus headroom.

Sounds strange, but try it! You'll get pleased. I noticed that you didn't use your EQ that much, but may be it was worth mentioning. :p