Peavey Max 700 thoughts

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GeddyisGod, Feb 6, 2006.

1. GeddyisGod

GeddyisGod Four on the floor and nothing more!

Feb 4, 2004
    Moberly, MO
    Now that I've spent some time with it I can post an opinion.

First of all it is very loud. The fact that I'm only putting a 4 ohm load to it is scary. :ninja: I was easing up the master volume and it was knocking pictures off my wall at about 3 and a half.

It has what I guess you would call a fairly "uncolored" sound, and that's fine. It fits with what I do very well. I use distortion for solo parts, and the added power lets me take over. Simple EQ section, which is fine because I'm not much of a genious when it comes to tweaking. The only knob I really mess with is the mid-sweep.

The only problem-and this is minor-is the weight. I think it actually weighs more than my 210 cabinet. That's ok though, I'm still fit enough to handle it.

I would reccomend to anyone who is looking for a solid piece of equipment that will produce plenty of volume.
  2. Soulfinger

Sep 20, 2004
    Houston, TX
    I saw Oteil Burbridge using one and he sounded great.

I really like the recent Peavey amps. The 700 is very good, though it's a heavy beast. The exercise is good for you.
  3. McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    I've got the Firebass 700 which is practically the same thing. I will agree it is very loud and very heavy. Its great though.
  4. ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    In a small-to-medium setting, I have (several times) used a smaller combo amp and used the Max 700 to drive a pair of 18" EV subs. It works great!

In large settings I use the heavier power amps to drive the subs and use the Peavey to drive 2x15's. It works great in that situation, too.

Yes, it is heavy, but worth it.
  5. Roundwound

May 13, 2004
    Peoria, IL
    I bet we can replace our FB 700 faceplates with the Max 700's.

Geddy, good description on the sound. I love using the mid sweep to bring out the low mids. I've got 2 4ohm cabs and it's silly loud even at a 3 gain 3 volume.
  6. 1up_SVT

Jan 15, 2006
    I have a peavey firebass head, and, i like it alot, it isnt that heavey tho, trust me, its like a feather compaired to my SVT!
  7. Maybe not bad compared to an SVT but heavy compared to a GK or several other SS amps of similar power.

I like my Peavey Firebass too. It sounds decent but could use a second semi-para mid control and maybe a little more color somewhere to warm it up a tad when needed. I'm sure once I throw a couple of pedals in front of it it will sound amazing.
  8. spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    I have had mine for about 2 months now. I like the tone I get out of it and can't wait to be running it at 2 ohms! 700 watts into 2 Schro 1212's will be awesome. Yes it does weigh more than my cab but oh well, it's very durable. I could probably run it over with a Mack truck, then walk up to it and turn it on without any problems.

What kind of cabs is everyone using with their Max/Firebass 700's?
  9. Yeah, it's lighter than my vintage SVT, but it's still big and bulky. That's why my GK 800RB is going to take it's place full time once it's cosmetically restored. I'll still keep the Firebass for large houses & outdoor gigs because of the sheer balls it possesses. And yes, some signal processing definitely improves the sound. I've used both a Presonus TubePre (replaced the tube) and a Behringer BDI21 with sweet results. Anyway, here's mine:
  10. Roundwound

May 13, 2004
    Peoria, IL
    I'm using a homebrew 2x10 and a Steelsound 2x12. I wouldn't win an expensive cab competition, but it does well enough for my needs.

Attached Files:

11. [​IMG]

Well if we're posting pictures :D Oh yeah, this head will run all day at 2 ohms (just like pictured).
  12. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I have one of the little brothers of this amp, the Max 160.

Check my sig. I believe DanceHallClasher has one of these. Pretty impressive to my ears.
  13. Indeed. Click on Phil's sig and you can see my Firebass/ Bag End rig. Looks a little goofy at first because the amp is wider than the cabs, but I got used to it quickly and the sound is really great. This rig is mid city. VERY punchy.
  14. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    I've yet to have the pleasure of playing through a 700, but I can imagine it can kick a$$ and take names... I'm currently using a Mark VIII(600 watts @ 2 ohms) on top of a 410 and a 115 - both 4 ohms - and it has TONS of power!!! In a LOUD metal band, I'm only playing at 4 on the pre, and 2 on the post - and rattle drinks off their surfaces during rehearsals... Honestly, I can't imagine needing more - but I'll check out a 700 if I get the chance...

- georgestrings
  15. Jimmy P.

Jimmy P.

Apr 5, 2005
    Tokyo, Japan
    I have a Mark VI XP, and practice through a Fender 1X15 cabinet (8 Ohm) at 2 pre, 2 post. We have paper walls here and you already know how well low frequencies travel. As others have mentioned, the signal can be warmed up considerably -- I use a digital effects pedal and the 'tube' setting is really convincing.
  16. spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    I use to have an issue with clipping when I first got this head...this was resolved by turning the master high and the gain low. Also I play a Spector and the on board pre amp is very hot so I can't crank it. I still run into some minor clipping issues if I really dig in, especially if I use a pick (rarely). The DDT speaker protection is always on.
  17. I become yesterday my Peavey MAX700 and I'm completely happy!!! Tomorrow i'll try it at rehearsal and then I'll write my first impressions.
  18. OOooo peavey max 700/ firebass pics, how could i miss this out, e-penis ahead!

19. It seems like you have almost the same setup like me. :) Of course, you have much more stuff!!!
    Do you like sound of your Ibanez BTB through Peavey? I'll send soon pictures of my setup.
  20. Yeah, i love the sound of my BTB with the BDDI through any head, the BTB and BDDI just compliment each other soo well i find, my firebass has been put back to a backup head these days as ive got an SVT perched ontop, but the peavey is still a damned nice amp!